1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judging Interest - New Eccentric Hub/Chain Tension Adjuster Tool

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AndyW, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Received this morning. It's huge! Still, all the easier to adjust the chain...and fits very nicely in the hand too. I'll give it a try with the instructions, as the chain needs adjusting. Thanks again Andy.

David

2. Another arrived today - looks like it means business :upyeah:

Nice one Andy.

3. Arrived today, a lovely bit of kit. Cheers Andy, you're a star.

duc c spanner.jpg

duc c spanner.jpg

#123 J0n3s, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. Brilliant Andy - really impressed!

Iain

5. Got mine, great quality, good feel, recommended.

(it's big - really big - size of your forearm big) wins the what's that big tool for ? Garage question hands down.

:)

Bugs

6. Well done mate good quality item....

7. Mine also arrived safe and sound. Looks an excellent piece of kit.

Cheers Andy !

PP
    :upyeah:

8. Cheers Andy, proper job tool!

9. Received, nicely made! Thanks!

10. Dog ripped the packaging open....she has a thing about the postman putting post through the door!

She must of ripped the gold plaque with my name engraved on it off, cause it ain't there :))

Great piece of kit thanks Andy! :upyeah:

11. Received yesterday - cheers Andy - can't help noticing it is a lot thinner than the mk1 version - any reason for that?

12. Well even though the chain doesn't need adjusting, I had to try it on the hub.

I can report back that it fits easily, once it's on there it is most definitely not slipping ( unlike that crappy c-spanner the bike came with ) so my knuckles can return to their former smoothness with no bits missing!

Result!

13. Mine arrived yesterday, thanks a lot.

14. All arrived the other day Andy. Nice one, it's a proper piece of kit!

15. Ok, I've just been out adjusting the chain, and I have to say, this is a QUALITY tool. It makes adjusting the chain so easy, as if you go too tight, you turn one way, too loose, turn the other. This means you can fine tune it to exactly how you want it very very easily. The thickness/thinness, is perfect, and makes absolute sense because it allows you to slide it in between the rear sprocket and the adjuster. It is perfect. The length is also good, because you can get enough leverage, on what is often a 'sticky' adjuster.

Ive not adjusted the chain that much on the Multi, but I have on many bikes in my time, and this was the EASIEST I have ever done.

I also took Andy's instructions for both the new tool, and adjusting the chain....foolproof. Thanks Andy. Seriously, if you have never felt content to adjust the chain, or you are slightly unsure for whatever reason, get the instructions (see the link above) and just follow them.

Andy, the only feedback I would give is that Ducati say that the chain should be adjusted on the side stand, which you do too, except then you go on to say its easier to adjust on the centre stand...which it is. HOWEVER, if you do this, the gauge that Ducati provide isn't correct....if you adjust it to the correct position on the side stand, when you pop it on the centre stand, then chain will look loose. Therefore, if you adjust it to what looks like the 'correct' position when on the centre stand, when you put it onto the side stand, the chain will be too tight. ....just a point worth noting, so that you don't end up with a too tight chain.

Other than that, top marks. Quality instructions, and a quality too.

Thanks very very much Andy. :upyeah:

16. David, check this on Andy's website.. Motorcycle Info Pages - 'How to' & FAQs > MTS1200 Chain Adjustment it shows both stand methods with reference to the guide.

First, adjust the chain on the side stand as normal, then pop the bike on the centre stand and mark the chain guide with a permanent marker where the rivet has now changed to. Its that simple!

Glad you liked the new spanner.

Don

#136 chickenman, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. Yes, thanks Don....that's exactly what I did... I purposefully printed both guides and took them to the garage to try out my new 'toy', and to 'test' the inductions, as Andy asked... :wink: What I meant to highlight, is that it is indeed easier to adjust on the centre stand (although not difficult on the side stand), but that you just have to remember that the 'lug' on the checker isn't in the right place when you do it on the centre stand...which is what you have also said. It is very simple to mod the 'checker', but you still need to remember.

What I didn't want, was someone to 'forget', and then pop the bike on the centre stand and then over tighten the chain....

I think we've both cleared that one up though.... :upyeah: And yes, a really good tool, an an improvement on 'version 1'.

18. Guide.jpg

I only use the centre stand method for my chain adjustment, and very importantly, it's dead easy to find the chains tight spot.

Guide.jpg

#138 chickenman, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Excellent stuff Don.... Andy, maybe the is a good photo to use in the instructions?

20. Thanks everyone for the feedback (don't forget Don's [chickenman] role in the tool coming into being :wink: ......I have a 'concept to reality' article roughed out but just not had time to finish......trouble is [one of anyway!] I've actually started riding my bike again!!!)

David/Don.......good points re the centre stand (or paddock stand) vs side stand method of checking the chain tension, I will add an update for the chain adjusting 'how to' article to my to do list! :) It is important to check chain tension at the tightest point of the chain and checks on the centre stand / a paddock stand make several checks along the chain length easy.

David's comment above re sliding the tool between the rear sprocket/chain and the hub adjuster ring is the answer.....any thicker and you wouldn't be able to slide your tool in! :cool:
    (not an issue with the MK1 as it engages from above/below the hub)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information