1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyless fuel cap

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Tripletrouble, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Some pics as promised earlier..

Solenoid
    View attachment 60 .

Switch
    View attachment 61

2. I think I'm going to remove the mechanical issue altogether and just fit a race style filler cap.
    Those solenoid's look quite chunky Boomer.

3. Needs to be quite powerfully to operate the seat catch and overcome the spring tension
    Fits in quite neatly tooked away under riders seat, and works a treat.
    Did a close up shot so u could see how it works....

4. Electronic keyless tank cap? Just one more electronic gizmo that can fail and leave you stranded and the Multi 1200 doesn't have a sparkling record on such things. I have NEVER used the steering lock for just that reason. I wouldn't have bought the bike if it didn't have the PIN code override for the keyless ignition after being stranded on a Kawasaki when the keyless ignition decided to pack up with no override. Besides, how hard is using a key?

• Like Like x 1
  5. You make a valid point. I've made my mind up and am going with a cap that needs no key to open for my touring holiday. Just have to find the right one now.

6. Are the pics comin up 4 you guys, when i click on the attachment, invalid attachment comes up.
    Thanks

7. Gives me an invalid attachment as well

8. Think something has gone wrong since the site crashed

No attachments from any thread appear to work?

9. Because I couldn't find a keyless fuel cap I got a non programmed key cut and 'hidden' on the bike in case I lose or forget the fob. A bit paranoid I grant you, but what's the point of being able to start the bike with a code if you've got no petrol?

10. Who cut the key and where did you get a blank from, Ducati?

11. Got the key from Duc but it wasn't cheap - £37 Got the key cut by an independant as Timpsons and the like won't cut blanks that arent supplied by them. Apparently it's milled not cut. Expensive but worth it I think.

12. Thanks for that, I guess I'll have to take another trip to my Duke dealer.

13. All member photo galleries lost in the crash........unless Rob still may be able to restore everyone will have to upload photos again and then edit posts to point to the new photo locations :-(

14. "Leave you stranded"? Even if the worst comes to the worst and the electric fuel cap fails completely, you only have to undo six allen screws to get petrol in (takes about one minute). I can't see how you would be stranded.

I agree that the PIN number override is a good idea and gives us peace of mind. It is true that the electrically operated gizmos might go wrong or fail. But old-style mechanical locks, keys, bolts, switches, etc also can and do go wrong, wear out, corrode or fall to bits. On balance I prefer the modern approach. How about you?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bearing just how much of my bike is already at the mercy of ECU's and electric, my take on this was that a keyless fuel cap was a fairly simple little bit of kit so I added one on to the list of toys.

If electronics on your bike bother you that much, I think you may just have bought yourself the wrong bike!

16. Just the 6 to remove it? None inside the cap itself?

17. I ordered a key-less filler cap when I ordered to bike in November 2010. It didn't get fitted until March 2011. There were problems with the original version of key-less cap and it was "withdrawn" so I had to wait for the newer version. I had a couple of unlock problems the first time I used it however after exercising it a few times it has worked every time since, which is 9,000 miles has been a lot of times :)

It's nice not having to fish the key out of a pocket - £200 nice maybe not, but I'd still buy one again.

Key-less central locking of the seat would be a major advantage, as I have left the key in the lock on a number of occasions, including overnight outside a hotel. I now a non-transponder key which I use for the seat, panniers and top box.

18. I like the tech stuff but also don't want to get stranded, and keeping a non transponder key handy is simple. Unscrewing the fuel cap is easy...... As long as you haven't got your tools stowed somewhere and need a key to get them :-/

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where are you guys getting your standard / non transducer keys cut........can any locksmith do this or do you have to go to a Ducati Dealer? Cost?
    Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information