1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 525 Exc Supermoto Build.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Well, I couldn't wait any longer.....I still haven't got the motor back yet but it is imminent....made a start on it last night....I cant build too much as I really need the motor back first as the rear mount goes through the motor, frame and swing arm....anyway - we all like pics so heres a few....
    20141101_210016.jpg 20141101_210032.jpg 20141101_210047.jpg

I know it went quiet for a little while but I really didn't have anything to post as most of it was away being overhauled....

2. Drop that old RSV round mine if you like, I'll look after it so it don't get in yer way ;)

3. Its not an aprc model but I love it....scares the hell out of me....I had thought about getting rid of it on numerous occasions as it doesn't get used that much but when I do take it out I do say to myself "what were you thinking...." smile, then twist throttle....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bit further today....got some of the back end on.....down fowlers tomorrow for more bits...order some stuff tonight as well..
    20141102_162309.jpg 20141102_162225.jpg

5. Picked this bad boy up yesterday @comfysofa KTM 620 SMC :)

ktm pickup.JPG

6. nice - go and google for "660 comedy starting thread" - started by myself and the 6 months or so it took for me to learn how to start my 660 - when I owned it....I think those are electric start as well aren't they - I think my 660 was the only manual kicker - and some of the smaller ones....

7. ironically mines changed a bit in the design - ive got the front end off of one of those on my 525 now....

8. This is a 2001 which is also a kickstart. I was shown the whole decompression lever, one click down on the kicker and let out before starting, and still had a couple of full on missions. At one point I was cursing and swearing as I thought I'd bought a dud bike when I couldn't get it started again! Would deffo prefer a newer bike with a starter but I had set myself a strict £2k limit and couldn't find any newer ones for that. Great fun to ride, I can't wait to get it in the dry.

9. This is me next week [​IMG][​IMG]

IMG_7661.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'd love another one of these. Theyre such a hoot.

11. Well, that's the thing....I lost my 660 a couple of years back due to my mate talking me into having a go on his r6 and the within 5 minutes writing it off....lost the 660 to pay for the damage - got the hyper but still wanted another full blown supermoto, wife wasn't having me spending another 5k or so on a 690smc-r so I thought I could get away with a cheap 525 enduro which my mate was selling - sold a load of bits off of it to offset the cost of converting it but its now kinda taken a full-on renovation....costs have now gone out the window...as they usually do when these kind of jobs are undertaken...

12. Well - if it wasn't for one small circlip id have it back now but here it is as of this morning ( I stopped into drop off the starter motor as he wanted to check oil was getting round ).....hopefully the offending part should be in tomorrow.....couldn't resist getting some pics. Front end is on (have gone with a 640 front end then I get the supermoto setup brake-wise)...more pics to follow...if I get the motor back this week id hope to have something rolling and steering by early next week.

IMG_20141209_081301.jpg

IMG_20141209_081312.jpg

IMG_20141209_081317.jpg

IMG_20141209_081327.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nice to see the fine adjusting tool on the bench

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. First full day of building....got the basics in so it kinda looks like a bike again...

IMG_20141220_152902.jpg

IMG_20141220_152930.jpg

IMG_20141220_152948.jpg

IMG_20141220_153007.jpg

IMG_20141220_161704.jpg

IMG_20141220_161730.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. So, when rebuilding it all, is it best to dry build, strip then build properly all torqued up?

16. Yep - the above only took a couple of hours to do....I wont be going much further even when torqued up as the wiring hasn't come from motogadget yet so itll have to be in a semi built state to get the replacement loom in....

17. Its the ecrics and small bushes type stuff that scares me. I would miss something.

Will be haing a go at thison my goxer at some point, not SM (although image 170hp SM...!) but strip, haveemgine vlasted and paited, swicgarm done etc so all looks great then rebuild. Just too scaredy-cat

18. Well, the motogadget stuff is an unknown for me - although ive got the help of an electrical engineer at work who is bike mad - all the cabling that we'll be using is aircraft grade stuff - very posh...

It "should" be simple-ish.....I watched a video of a bloke who built a basic wiring loom with the motogadet stuff on a table in 20 mins......this is the clock that's going in....

Im half considering one for the hyper it looks that good....

19. i like that

20. Go to their site - its a whole other avenue for debt.....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information