1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 525 Exc Supermoto Build.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Thanks for all the good comments, ive not done anything like this for 20 plus years.....id love to do it again but theres no more room in the garage! Plus i definately wouldnt get the money back on the ktm but that doesnt worry me as im planning on keeping it anyway....

Just to add I think one of the things that would put most people off (and to a certain extent me as well) is the mess. While I was stripping the thing down I was caked in shite, oil, fuel, and mud, mixed in with all of it. once its stripped down - it costs nothing to clean absolutely everything. Once everything is clean then everything becomes a little more manageable, even, shudder I say to the point that you can bring stuff inside the house where its a bit warmer to work. The dishwasher was invaluable - put loads of stuff in there but had to strip it down afterwards to clean it out. Everything kind of then goes up a notch cleandliness-wise once stuff comes back coated, blasted, anodised, cleaned etc etc...everytime I go out there now to work on it I come back in the house clean...

#81 comfysofa, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Looking super tidy is that.

3. Yep - were starting the wiring tonight....cant wait.

4. Dare i ask how much the whole thing would of cost once completed? Is it far off what a new bike costs?

5. And more - supermoto conversions always cost more...ive lost count...eg the budget for the engine was....a tin of gunk and in the end weighed in at 1.1k....need I say any more...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is this not done yet Comfy !

7. Just started breaking the old wiring loom up tonight....

8. Just to bring it back up to the top.....id say on the home straight now...
    IMG_20150414_183628.jpg
    It looks like a right mess there but a lot of the functionality is now working....so far I have....

Starter button, (turns over the engine) - no cdi connection yet - that's tomorrow nights job...
    front and rear lights
    both brake switches working.
    Rfid ignition working
    full and dip beam working

As I say tomorrow night is the CDi connection task....then get it fired up on the new loom

After that clocks and all the relevant sensors that it now has that it never had before (looking forward to testing the G-Sensor)

Once everything is actually functioning then the whole lot will be taken off and rewired permanently. Im hoping, the next 2 weeks it should be finished.

9. Leaps and bounds last night....

CDi is in and working (it starts and runs)
    Clocks are wired in along with the rev counter (absolutely the coolest clock powering up sequence ive ever seen. Period). The clocks are so good in fact im considering fitting a set to the Zed as the motogadget ones actually offer more information, I think than any other clocks ive come across.

Left to do is the speedo magnet/sensor and the temperature sensor.

However, the next stage is to label all of it up take it all out and then commit to a permanent loom as (as you can all see) its literally draped over the bike.

Once the wiring loom is on then ill throw up some video of the starting sequence, m-unit and rfid tag/ignition.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information