1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Latest Battery Recommendations

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Old rider, Nov 17, 2014.

1. I would recommend taking a look at CTek as well as Optimate.
    They do a bike specific model which has a cold charge facility and they say this is ideal for AGM batteries, which like a slightly higher voltage than lead/acid.
    It's about 40 quid

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Monday i've installed new battery, so i'm very keen in buying a charger/optimiser.
    I've installed a, GS Battery gt12b-4... its AGM... I was looking for Optimate 4...
    I'll have a look at Ctekas well

3. I have an the original Optimate on the 749 and an Optimate 4 for my muttley.

4. I was always led to believe if voltage dropped below 11.5 starter won't turn the engine.
    So can optimate 4 be used on the newer lightweight batteries ?

5. ctek do a dedicated charger, I suspect Optimate will too

• Like Like x 1
  6. #27 Old rider, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. Having looked at the spec and function of the Optimate 4, I would worry about using it on a Lithium battery. The complex program seems to involve a lot of pulse-charging at different stages, which I don't think is good for these batteries.
    The Ctek only seems to use pulse charging if the battery is deeply discharged, so should be better.
    I'm sure a dedicated charger is best but having said that, any battery is going to be exposed to the bike's unsophisticated charging system...

8. I'd suggest that during cranking virtually all batteries drop below 11.5v on a Ducati.
    Just the nature of the beast.

9. Only use a battery tender designed for lithium batteries on a motorcycle with a lithium battery. It's what the designer intended.

10. My impression was that he was talking about the pre-cranking voltage but how would it ever start at that??

KOMPERNASS T4X OPERATION AND SAFETY NOTES Pdf Download.

Herewith instructions and specs for Lidls supplied charger. It charges to 14.4 v and holds it there, which seems fine to me from what I've read about AGM.

If required, it can also do the same at 14.7 volts but then at a higher amperage - 3.6. They recommend this only for batteries over 14ah. The Yuasa is 11.5 ah, so could be damaged, I believe this damage is from buckling plates if the battery overheats by being charged with too many amps. Is this likely with a fairly small difference between 11.5 and 14?? Probably not worth the risk I guess.

Can't help wondering if most of these chargers use identical innards from China and get put in different cases, also in China...

11. Correct...the voltage is usually 11.7>11.9v, showing fully charged on my trickler before I hit the button, its never failed to start,and as soon as it does the volts jump up to 13.6.

12. It's amazing that the bike starts reliably with such a low voltage.

What battery, what charger? Can't help wondering why it's only charging to that voltage...

In a way, it would make more sense if it were charging to a higher voltage but failing to start the bike reliably.

13. Depends on the quality of the cables connectors and brushes. You can have the best condition battery in the world, but if the rest of the starter circuit is rubbish it won't start.

14. A chain is of course only as strong as it's weakest link.
    You'd expect an 11.7 volt battery to be a pretty weak link...

15. Good old Ivy Watts

16. Yes, there must still be sufficient amps available, which is why I'm curious what the battery is.
    The battery may be fine and it's just that the charger doesn't charge to a higher voltage but if the trickle charger provides enough oomph for the battery to start the bike and the alternator then bumps up the voltage, is that such a big problem??

Apparently, AGM batteries like a higher voltage than liquid or gel batteries though, with even the difference between 14.4 and 14.7 volts seemingly having significance.

I wonder if the volts reading comes up once the bike has been started and run for a while??

If so, I would suggest that a better/more appropriate charger might be in order...

#37 Old rider, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. Funny you should say that, strangely enough my old CTEK charger has been telling me my battery has a fault, it's also been telling my other bike (triumph sprint 1050 ) that it's battery also has a fault. ...just bought myself a new charger (another CTEK), and it's now charging to 12>12.2v before starting. ...must have been the charger, it's about 4 years old ,would have expected a longer lifespan than that from it.

#38 yellowducmaniac, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  18. How strange...

19. It is amazing how many bikes break when they run out of electrons. The problem is you can't see where it is it leaking from.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information