1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Latest Battery Recommendations

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Old rider, Nov 17, 2014.

1. I was once told to think of electricity as water , with the electrickery flowing thro the wire .
    As the duke has pointed out you can usually see a water leak.

2. Zombie thread but just to answer that problem, bowl of hot water, loads of washing up liquid, soak rubber insert and put it back on battery.

More soapy water around battery box.....push ( difficult because it's slippery ) - job done! Dry off residue and connect battery.

3. I knew there had to be a way...
    I ended up leaving it out because it was getting increasingly distorted and just would not accept the battery without folding.

One thing though. The insert would appear designed to locate in the battery box first because it has lugs on it that correspond with holes in the battery box and I don't think they would just slip into place. Those lugs are quite lumpy and would stop the battery from sitting properly in the box if they are not first located in their corresponding holes. Will the same method work if you locate the insert properly in the box first and then lube the inside of it and the outside of the battery before trying to shove it into place??
    I guess you could just cut the lugs off though...

4. Never noticed that !

I just rammed it in and was maybe lucky that it was pliable enough to slide and then plop the lugs into place!

5. image.jpg
    The lugs are not enormous but enough to stop it fitting really nicely in place.
    I wonder if the answer is to glue the insert into the box so it doesn't just catch, distort and fold when you try to slide the battery in and then lube the inside of the insert and the battery as you describe, so it slides in nicely

#45 Old rider, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. I get my bike batteries from halfords. Trade card brings the price down to less than Internet and 12 month warranty.
    Keep receipt and take it back after 11 months they just swap it no probs.
    New battery every year !

7. Nope I had no such lugs on my rubbery cover.

I guess a previous owner had nipped them off ( it locates well enough without them ) if fact the cover is a snug fit around the battery - the battery is held firmly by the single "clasp" that you screw in - so I don't see a problem with cutting them off..

Just to confirm - I put the cover over the battery before inserting the whole thing in , in one go... the soapy water lubed it to perfection to form a snug but easily placeable fit

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah, looks like snipping off the lugs is the simple way to do it...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information