Loose Alternator Nut mystery washer v Stubby pushrod.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by densel16, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Got an email fr Nichols as to where the spacer goes and they instructed me that it went between the flywheel and the starter gear. Fucking good job that I had the diagrams from this forum, otherwise I could have ended up with a knackered enging. One would think that, being a race team, they would have known which position to advise me to fit it. Slightly worrying that they gave me the wrong advice.this is the email I recieved:

David,

The shim found on the oil drain plug was not a crank shim for preloading the crankshaft. All of the shims used to preload the crankshaft are located in between the crankcase halfs. The washer you have found is a hardened steel spacer/ washer located behind the needle bearing in the back of the flywheel. Those will break when crushed between the inner needle bearing race and the main gear on the crank (improperly installed). When properly installed you should torque our flywheel nuts to 135 lb/ft each. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Holder fits fine and was only £28 posted.

3. I think you might want to calm down a little Densel and then give Nichols a call and apologize, because what they said is correct AFAIK. No where do they say in that email, that it goes between the starter gear and the flywheel.

4. Fair play, maybe I misenturpreted. Bit I don't think that I need to apologise as at no point did they specify that the metric threaded alternator nut was imperial. This is a fundamental piece of info that I feel they should tell buyers(especially uk). They were helpful other than that and their product was good quality. It has however taken me longer than expected, and cost significantly more time, money and stress. Also, the cost of phoning America from England is prohibitive. Maybe this will suffice.?

5. Was confused because they said flywheel, not starter gear. Maybe a little ambiguous.

6. Got it back together now, and went on the A40 to Llandovery, then up to Aberystwyth. The Aber to Leominster (A44/A470) is the best road i have ever ridden. Got rid of my chicken strips, first time out in 3-4 months. Will defo be back there with my new corsa's on, to scrub them in. Also, it has shellgrip on nearly every corner.Mint.!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information