1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing weight from a 900SS/ 900SS ie

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by JohnB, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Cheers Mate, bike of choice at the moment is a Carby 900, though I suspect all the above still counts. Interesting that I could easily use track clothes off something else. Clutch mods already on the list and the bike I'm looking at has uprated slave cylinder already.
    It'll be a rolling project and I want ot keep a daytime MOT on the thing.
    Will do homework on wheels :)

2. Depends if you want to keep the SS look or not. I has seen Aprillia V4, Fireblade, countless 1098 & 916, t9 and desmosedicci faoring all fitted to monsters and SS models in the DD racing. Check out Kenoir's pics, he's got lovely 1098 and a desmo liveried 600 SS bikes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bradders is 100% right, DD racing is probably the best ideas hot bed for working out what way you want to go with an SS track bike. This is now my 800 looked when I first built it it up, 1098 body & 9*6 seat.

[​IMG]

The world is your oyster with race bodywork, there is always a way to make it fit :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. the first kilo's are the easy ones,you can take everything off that you don't need.
    replace the stock fairings whit fiberglas parts,aftermarket exhaust,...
    but if you want to take it further and make it real light it gets harder and expensive.
    i got my old SS trackbike to 157kg.
    that was whit lightweight fairing,magnesium marvic wheels,carbon fibre fuel tank,...

henk!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. 400lbs!!! Typical 851,888,916,955 Lardy!!!!!

6. Eat less pie's :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I picked up a very tidy '95 900SS last night from a very nice chap in Portsmouth. it has had a good refurb over the last year or 2 including frame repowdercoated, forks re furbed, new clutch slave, brake master cylinder, cables fasteners etc. Its almost too good to bastardise into track / daytime road toy.

I had a nice 60 od mile run back up to Wiltshire on her, nice strong engine (24k miles), really nice gearbox (just the one neutral, where it should be!) everything works, I'm really chuffed :upyeah:
    Phone camera only, so not the best pic..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Very nice SS, far too nice to barstadise. As far as I'm aware there are three different swing arms for the ie bikes, a square section aluminium one, a steel square section one (sport and 750's) and the very rare late 900 / 1000ss sculpted one. The standard 900ss / 900ss ie aluminium arm is the lightest, the later one is stiffer and far prettier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks, there doesn't seem to much potential to get a lot lighter than the SA that's on there.

On closer inspection, the rims have been polished at some point, seems like I'll have to bring back the shine. spokes and centre piece are standard light gold original.

10. To be fair, the first place to start with weight reduction is with the rider (unless you are built like a gazelle anyway)

A pair of shorts are cheaper than carbon fibre too.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've already shed 2 Kilos with another 2 kilos to go. That will get me to 11 stone, there's not an awful lot more to go after that :)

12. har har!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Say's Hull & Back-up!

14. Alf Garnett has spoken :wink:

15. Better pic. The Skorpions are just plain wrong :)

[​IMG]

16. If the rare late 900 / 1000 SS sculpted one is included (of which I know nothing about), there are at least four SS swingarms......possibly more.....

There is of course the OEM steel one.

Then comes the ally one with a thin brace found on the early ones and the SLs.....

Then the later heavier braced ally one which can be seen easily in JohnB's sideways on pic.....usually found on the later carbed 900 SS and the IEs.

And then there are variations of the chain tensioner with the ally swingarms as well.......both the light and heavy brace versions have the 'pocketed' tensioner, again as seen in JohnB's pic; plus there are some with a tensioner plate on the outside of the legs, 'similar' method to the steel version tensioner.

IIRC there was also another version which was fitted to the very early carbed SS.

AL

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well I've decided not to completely bastardize this SS. It will be getting the Superlight lookalike treatment (Single Seat unit, Link pipes, hangers etc are already sorted).

However, I met Steve B yesterday (duc904red) and he happened to have an alloy front sub-frame that seemed to weigh a fraction of the steel one. Hmmm....

18. I haven't read the thread in full.....

You could of course use the earlier swingarm with the lighter brace and change the OEM discs for the snowflake pattern....ST2, I think.

Also go to the half fairing instead of the full fairing.

Lose the breather boxes and the airbox...fit K7&Ns or similar.

Fit high level pipes and cans (carbon) and lose the rear pillion footrests and hangers.

19. All of the 900SSie and 1000SSie had alloy swinging arms.

20. No, only the later 900SSie's had the Alloy swingarm, '01 on?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information