Losing weight from a 900SS/ 900SS ie

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by JohnB, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Battery will be on the top of the "to do's". Just haven't looked that closely at which is the lightweight product of choice yet!
    Steve at BBB fabrications (duc904red) is doing the work.

I'd like to explore getting a Swingarm fabbed...hmmm...

Then of course, I'll put weight back on it by getting a nice paint job done !

• Like Like x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. for battery Pablo Pirate and I use a a Billistics Evo 8 cell lithium ion battery.

Check first that your swingarm isn't already ally. The metamachex arm is nice and the box appears deeper judging by the photo. Whether it'll gain anything masurable is uncertain but it'll certainly be manufactured a lot better than the OE.

The marchesinis which are supplied as oe fit are TUV alloy, the race ones are mag, and in the case of mine- they are actually Technomagnesio Superlight wheels which Marchesini bought out when they went into liquidation and rebranded as their own.

If you really intend to track it, then centralise and drop mass. these engines are top heavy and rearward biased so depending on how adventurous you're feeling you could change the attitude of the engine by tipping the front cylinder down by a mm or two - but you'd need an eccentric engine mounts for that, also as pablo says flywheel. You're not going to need the low rev stuff so concentrate on spinning the engine up quickly with lightweight flywheel / clutch and rods, and maybe up the compression. Be wary of big bore on aircooleds which are used at the upper limits of their performance as the cylinder wall is way thin as it is and heat management becomes a contentious issue..

Intelligent cooling - you'd be shocked at how small a cooler needs to be if its in the right place... that's all I'm saying.
    (for reference if a radiator can't get rid of its air into a low pressure freestream zone then its doing jack).

Junk the indicators and in their pocket put a duct to feed cold air to either the airbox (not pressurised) or the bottom of the rear barrell

Junk all unecesary plastics such as clock finishers and undertrays

Wiring harness - junk it all apart from charge and ignition circuit and get it down low. if you can go raychem 55a wiring with deutsche MS or lemo connectors

Alloy or carbon tank will make a big difference to mass redistribution and will make it feel a lot lighter than it is due to all the weight shifting lower down.

It seems that what you could do with is a bike which has had most of the engine work you're after, with said battery and ohlins shock and the hens teeth uber light wheels aready on it, ti engine mounts, flatslides and a full termignoni spaghetti system and a nice electronic tacho - saving you a shed load of cash and labour - now who would be looking to sell such a thing I wonder? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lol, I've seen your bike for sale mate. It was 2nd on my list behind Simon's SL if I had the spare dosh.;)

I'm doing the weight loss thing for fun, and the joy of having a light and flicakable bike. I'm not a fast trackday rider, I'm towards the back end of inters and as I've said before, if i was really interested in lap times, I'd get some tuition. it will have a daytime MOT so I also hope to get plenty of sunny weekend miles on it.

The bike will have Supermono fairing so the oil cooler is being raised (as per the late model ones) the loom isn't being torn out, just taking the front an rear out so it can all be plugged back in again.
    I've got a Vapor unit to sit on an ally front subframe - Iwas quite surprised how much the stanrd instrument unit weighs.
    Motor wise, its a reasonably strong standard unit and I'm not intending to make it 944 but may do something with it..
    I do quite fancy getting a 1000DS in there though!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. You should betet buy my bike then.
    It has everything you look for:

- 5 spoke marchesini's
    - supermono fairing
    - alu clip ons
    - complete akrapovic exhaust systeme
    - carbon fuel tank
    - 944 engine with 41 split FCR

Henk!!!

5. Thanks Henk!!
    I've already purchased the bodywork, the clip ons, the 5 spokes, the reasets, the exhaust etc, etc, etc.

Whose bodywork have you got - the US Airtech one or Jagged edge in Bristol?
    post a pic!

6. My bodywork comes from the netherlands from rico racing research.
    It is a bodywork made for the SS.
    It has the cooling vents on the side.
    Will post a pic off it when i on my PC,don't have one on my Ipad.

Henk!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. All extreme stuff. I will be stopping at the point of chopping and cutting things and removing road gear, like lights and ignition barrel. I still hope to lose 15kg, though. And I am in the middle of a 15kg juicing-for-fat-cvnts diet, well more than half way there, actually. So that will be 30kg

8. I lost 5lbs last month.

Found it down the back of the sofa.

9. The Marchesini wheels were weighed and the pair are over 7kgs lighter than the standard 3 spokes. I was surprised, I'd have guessed no more than 4 or 5.
    I picked up some standard fairing panels a couple of weeks ago (for "stock") and I reckon the whole Supermono fairing weighs less than one standard side panel.
    Should have the exhausts built up over the next week or so, the courier who dropped off the carbon tubes said he thought that someone had sent me an empty box!

10. Are they the standard alloy Marchesinis?

11. Also who is making your exhaust? I am getting a batch made up of a complete system for the carb 900

12. yep but a bit shiney..

Steve Bailey AKA BBB Fabrications AKA Duc904Red (on here) is doing the exhausts. Headers are standard at present, may look at a spag set though.

[​IMG]

13. I have seen a half faired 2006 1000ds with black 3 spoke marchesini wheels. I have never seen these wheels before. Can anyone verify that the bike came with 3 and 5 spoke marchesinis? Seems like overkill to me and I womder if they are just brembo painted black and a marchesini sticker put on them

14. John, are your 5 spoke wheels that standard alloy ones?

15. think so, I got them off Rich at Louigi Moto, they'd been used on their TT2 race bike. They are loads lighter than the 3 spoke Brembos but assumed they were off an ST4S / later ie etc..

16. Here's the Frame, now powder-coated, you can see its been trimmed at the back ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Looking good! Did the same to mine, looks a lot cleaner :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks. Once built, the serious business of the motor will need to be addressed. An ST2 with 900SS heads makes a whole lot of sense - isn't that what you did?

19. Hi John,
    I stuck an ST3 motor in = Stonking & reliable!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information