1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Gear Lever. Newish Owner

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wes, Sep 2, 2024.

1. Welcome into our mad house :) and our wonderful forum members

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Use blue Loctite when assembling the new lever. I would also consider undoing the other bolts to see whether they had thread locker and applying new before reassembly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. To be honest it had crossed my mind on more than one occasion that “this thing vibrates like **** !”....”bet things will vibrate loose”.
    Silky smooth ‘Blade to this was an eye opener. As you can maybe see, the pdi supposedly consisted of a thorough nut and bolt check and the paint check marks are still visible all over the bike. This kind of gave me a small sense of security that was foolish in hindsight and has now bit me on the rs .
    A good suggestion regarding the loctite and a lesson (always learning) in momentary complacency giving the Mrs an excuse to give me “that bloody bike” .
    Might need a bigger tube !

4. The 1199/1299 is vibey compared to an IL4. TBH, those yellow marks are from factory. The rearsets wouldve been fitted by prev owner. I dont loctite mine as I adjust them often. I just do em up bastard hard tight. The one to loctite is the QS to the small lever at gear shaft and at other end of QS. Mine fell off 3wks ago after i forgot to tighten.

I forgot to look for part number. Soz.

You will also notice heat on testes. It is worth using DE Gold under tank, inside vert cyl covers, under seat and iside of subframe etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Regular bolt checks are an essential part of Ducati ownership. Pretty much every bolt, factory fitted or not. Paint marks/markers are very good for this.
    Dykem Crosscheck Tourque Seal is good for home maintenance and aftermarket parts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bootsam
    I note you are in race shift. You should have also been provided with additional tie rods for the QS 93mm and 103mm.[/QUOTE]........Ducati confirmed as correct. Race shift. Spot on.

Appreciate your advice gents. Just waiting for the part now.
    I must applaud everyone for the assistance and it’s obvious there are some knowledgeable members here. I’ll take in and use the recommendations.
    Cheers all.

7. If you want to go road shift theres other additional items you need. Note Part No 5 in diagram on pg1/13 of the manual I attached. Its essentially a male and female rose and you could source one yourself.

Its easy to change peg height on brake side, but to do gear side you pretty much have to remove entire unit. You get used to it the more you do. This is why i forgot to tighten QS rose to small lever on gear stem. I'd lowered my pegs, got distracted and... Doh! Fortunately I was stuck in 3rd and got bike to a B&Q bought some allen keys. Luckily the allen bolt hadnt fallen off.

There are also 2 cotter pins required to make pegs unmovable. Note item 1G on pg9/13. I got some longer ones so I can put them in for track and remove for road. This is useful. Pegs are additional crash protection.

8. 78CCEED6-0BC6-4BBF-AC12-CEDAB930C938.jpeg AE4B0F29-D004-477B-A6A7-01B9864CCCC5.jpeg Received a call from Ducati Cardiff with not good news. Gear lever (£208) has turned up but there is a small issue. Not hard to spot. More calls to come. Nothing is ever straight forward for me.

9. You didn’t expect to get the peg and all of the associate fixing paraphernalia included for £208, did you? Silly boy! It will be at least another £200 for the associated bits. Ducati rear-sets. Reassuringly expensive!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. £208! Robbing bastards. Plus you have to pay for the toe peg too? Thats just nuts. Fuck Ducati.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information