1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Mcn Adventure Sport Shootout

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Aug 12, 2015.

1. It is Frustrating that they never seem to test the bikes in the real world, or the same spec'ed bikes, touring bikes should also be tested fully loaded etc.

2. They are separated by stairs but Riders of Cardiff sell both Ducati and BMW under the same roof - BMW downstairs and Ducati upstairs with lots of non-BMW clothing.

3. Stopped reading MCN years ago - surprised it's still published ! :Wtf:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Err..ummm..this young lady won't show you hers..
    [​IMG]

It's the only image I think I could use that the thought police (sorry ET) wouldn't delete.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Dont think BMW need the publicity to be fair, a mate tried one out a month or so ago, went to put a deposit down only to find out that there was a three month wait so didn't bother.

6. Everything needs publicity. How else would you know about things?

7. Know about what?

8. Whooo! I see! But why make up strange names for it?

9. I think it may also be Indian for sweet, as in pudding.
    There's a shop in Southall of the same name...very good.
    [​IMG]

10. And bikes that unseat esteemed testers!!!

11. #31 Franksie, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I parked my multi next to an XR today at the BMW showroom. The sales guy at BM commented how good my bike looked against the XR. He said the new XR is not yet refined as the Multi is because it has evolved into the bike it is. He said the XR is very vibey on the bars and less refined but that they would eventually sort it out.

The multi looks the best bike re the design lines and For definite the seat is bigger for pillion on the multi and admittedly only from sitting on it feels comfiest for rider too.

The Beemer looks a fine bike no doubt about it and they have sold loads according to BMW guy. I would imagine it to be more powerful but hardly a difference. Less positive are the luggage bars which look like an afterthought as did the back end of the bike. If looks count you would not trade a multi for it. Can't knock a very good bike though.

All things considered I think comfort, two up ability, similar power etc the bike I'm happy I chose is the multi. After seeing the Beemer close up and personal I wouldn't swap just for a nano more power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I was originally interested in the S1000XR and R1200GS and the DVT fits right in the middle. The XR being the upright superbike and the GS being the relaxed grand tourer/adventure bike.
    I bought that article and was left extremely disappointed and questioned their integrity as "journalists." It may as well have been a marketing exercise out of BMW Motorcycle Magazine. Their tests were completely pointless. Oh wow, the XR has a higher top speed and beats the DVT with its dual sport tires and long travel suspension on a track. They didn't even have hard luggage to test on the XR, so I can only question it's ability as a grand tourer. The BMW is priced slightly cheaper, but they also conveniently forgot to mention that it has less features compared with the DVT S. The windscreen adjustment was pretty cheesy: 2 positions with minimal difference between the two and it's adjusted by just yanking on the screen; not very German in my opinion. In contrast was the DVT with it's multiple detent, single hand adjustable screen, which makes me smile at its elegant functionality every time I adjust it. Why bother cranking a knob on the GS, when you can set it in under a second.

I rode both bikes before buying the DVT. The XR has a phenomenal powerplant and is extremely smooth, yet still has the high frequency vibes typical of an i4 at around 6000rpm. The quick shifter is phenomenal and really makes up for the XR's peaky power; it's nearly instantaneous to drop down two gears and go blazing off into the distance. I certainly can't shift anywhere near that fast with the DVT, but then it's happy to be in whatever gear I happen to be in like my TDI. The DVT just dominated it in low end torque and the soundtrack from the DVT is probably the best I've ever heard from a stock bike. The Skyhook suspension on the DVT blows the XR away as far as adjustability and range of adjustment. The XR just has 2 suspension modes: sport or dynamic, and there isn't a significant different between the two. They are both pretty stiff compared with the DVT in touring mode, and the DVT only loses to the XR when in sport mode due to the long travel suspension.

14. After reading the article, you do wonder if they even rode the bikes at all. If it took them 3 days to make thsoe observations, they must have spent most of them sitting in a cafe or pub drinking.

15. And a Multi afficionado to boot. Conspiracy theory time!

16. I dunno the price so don't shoot me. Are they not testing comparing bikes for the same price? As a consumer you normally set a budget and thus pick a bike accordingly, so are they not comparing bikes by price, I.e are they pointing out you get more bang for your buck with the BMW?

17. Shoot him!! The heretic speaks too much sense !!

18. Nope - they tested a standard model Ducati with a top spec BMW. Can't recall the price difference as I have binned the MCN - maybe the BMW was £2.5k more expensive. They could have done base model BMW with base model Ducati, or top model BMW with top model Ducati.

As an aside, being a photographer I tend to notice the way the pictures are taken, and they pretty much put the BMW in the front of every multi-bike shot. Now they either shot loads and loads of pictures with each bike up front, which is unlikely due to the time it would take, or set the pictures up with the BMW in front to fit the article. The latter would imply the article was already written before they went out on the "test". Or they knew the article would be written in a particular way and shot the pictures accordingly.

In any event, these two threads are good reading. Seems no manufacturers are capable of making a bike properly.

Handlebar vibrations...?? - General S1000XR Discussion Forums - BMW s1000xr Forum
    Is the XR flawed? (BMW responses) - General S1000XR Discussion Forums - BMW s1000xr Forum

19. No. Not at all. If you want to declare a king, then you have to compare top of the range. The BMW might be better "value for money" for some, but that is entirely dependent upon an individual persons criteria, which is personal, do can't be the criteri for a choice of king.

How is this for a headline "BMW declared king. Best bike in the class. But there is a better bike available in the class"?

20. At the end of the day, you decide what bike you want, can you afford it and you go for it, on occasion I couldn't afford it but went for it (1199 Panigale Tricolore). I appreciate some mags/papers are biased but I research forums like this and websites etc. same as if I am buying a car.

I went for Ducati because I love the vee-twin sound and design, I've had plenty of Jap/BMW/Aprilia bikes but simply like the Ducati and the way the bike rides for what I need it to do. This is my 4th Multi, I haven't tried the BMW and I'm sure its a nice bike but I don't want one. My money will go to Bologna for now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information