1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Mcn Shootout!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Brakes508, May 4, 2016.

1. :grinning:

2. Fair Play to you, If I'd had half the issues you've had I would have got rid of it and moved on whatever the cost.

3. Ummm...the engine, at over 100hp per litre is much more stressed than on a Golf. Being a V-Twin it's much more prone to vibration, being a bike it's an overall much harsher environment...built by Luigi after two bottles of Chianti at lunchtime on Friday....(I say this last one with great affection for Italy and Italians! :) )

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hola! Para lo que necesites, no dudes en dejarme un mensaje.
    Saludos.

5. Could you please explain a bit more?
    I'm curious about your idea...

L's

6. well this is me :

customize the Enduro mode to your final preferences, leave all others alone for the odd switch to - touring, urban sport.

then use Enduro as default...in my case my default is everything set to max and best possible suspension settings including max power and max throttle its silly to think that your wrist is not better than a computer (its like being on / off drugs whats the advantage), the TC I adjust according to the seasons.

7. It's true that bike engines are usually in a much higher state of tune than typical car engines, which means that many components are much more stressed - big-ends, piston rings, valves, most bearings. This is why car engines are routinely expected to do well over 100,000 miles without major attention but bikes not so much. I cannot see that this makes much difference to the DVT mechanism, since the stresses applied to it would surely be no greater at high revs than at low revs.

As for vibration, the 90 degree V twin layout is famously excellent in terms of primary and secondary balance (which is why Sr Taglioni chose it in the first place) and in terms of torsional vibration it is much smoother than a typical four-cylinder car engine. I don't understand what you mean by "much more prone to vibration".

On the whole I still think the DVT mechanism would have no tougher a life in a Ducati than in a Golf.

8. I agree, and if anything it will have an easier life. By it's very nature the desmodromic system requires a fraction of the torsional force to rotate the camshaft because it only uses very light springs to seat the valves at low rpm. Also in a DOHC design like the DVT each camshaft operates just a single pair of valves.
    In comparison an in-line 4 cylinder camshaft with valve springs such as a Golf has to act against a minimum of 4 sets of heavy valve springs.
    If you want to feel this for yourself - if you ever change your own cambelts you can easily rotate the Ducati camshaft by hand to position them. Try doing the same thing with a 4 cylinder valve spring engine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I thought each mode had a different engine map and whilst the power output and suspension settings can be changed the map itself cannot (other than increasing or decreasing the power). Have I got this wrong?
    I prefer the touring engine map but with the sport suspension settings. Unfortunately this means I can't use the standard touring suspension settings when I'm on a bumpy road without having to swap over my settings. It would be handy if all I need to do is set up enduro as a secondary touring mode. Hence my query about the actual engine map.

10. @Ducati Dulk I set up my Enduro map on the settings I prefer engine in HIGH mode 160, and adjusted the settings of the Suspension and it is great, all I can say is go and try it, play around, see what you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. if you want, you can have all modes identical, so yes its all configurable

12. Not sure this strictly true as the Skyhook (2013/2014) and Skyhook Evo (2015/2016) suspension have different baseline suspension settings for the front and rear damping for each mode; e.g. Soft in Touring mode is different from Soft in Sport mode. On the Ohlins models (2010-2012) you could configure all modes to be identical as the front and rear damping were numeric values from the same baseline.

13. I think middle is middle regardless of mode. Thats how mine feels. Easiest way to find out is go max hard on all, ride it, then just reset after

14. the 'arse power' feeling is as the chart below. Numbers are not the point, only the difference between the bikes' power feeling when you nail the throttle.

2015-Ultimate-Sports-Adventure-Shootout-HP-2-970x595.jpg

15. So we all should have bought the Vstrom... Really? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Was there not a new map since that test that changed a standard DVT quite a bit?

17. I had a ride on Pete's BMW XR at the weekend and I have to say it's a very impressive bike. I never thought I wanted a quick shifter/shift assist before, but it's very good. Comfortable, powerful and I didn't notice the vibration on the short ride I took.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm clearly colour blind. I meant KTM [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Wash your mouth out with soap Christopher! Mr Keffs is not going to be happy with you!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information