1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Mcn Shootout!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Brakes508, May 4, 2016.

1. @costis Your View :) My View, I am happy with my MS DVT, as for me it is blistering quick (Termi), and again, when I am in 6th, at say 3.5k revs It pulls plenty quick enough to overtake, I would go to say sometimes I think I am in a higher gear, then relise I am in 6th. Fantastic handling with PR4's, Smooth ride as hell with Sky Hook, reliable to date after 6k, Smooth Fuelling, good return of fuel (HIGH OCTANE) on a long run, easy 200 a tank if ridden sensible, Great Rain protection for me in the wet. Motorway cruising ideal as Low revving. Great Luggage options, Low Seat Ideal for me (Short ASS).
    OK Yes the seat could be a little more comfortable, but options limited to height, it is grossly over priced, Price will drop with mileage.
    I am not dissing the XR, in fact I have never ridden one, but I know I would prefer the MS for reasons of a Vv twin and my laziness. BUT the new KTM GT that is a serious piece of kit on paper, I think that will be the one that will rule the roost when it is widely available and tests against the others.

Some people wants something different out of a bike, I tend to find after reading many mags, and reports most of the testers want a sportier ride, they want to ride and feel the bike in a way they they are on a race track, that having to hold high revs like they are racing, and ready to overtake, I do not.

2. BUT the new KTM GT that is a serious piece of kit on paper, I think that will bethe one that will rule the roostwhen it is widely available and testsagainst the others.

Yes thatcis exactly what it is GOOD ON PAPER but go see it in real and you'll realize that it's nothing the DVT, and if you want a sportbike get a real sportbike instead of thinking having an sport-adventure which is anything but adventure just because somebody decided to put few tiny sidebags on it.

3. But you haven't exactly had your DVT long have you? Try keeping a Multi for a few years and you'll soon become disenfranchised. Even my wife (who loves the multi) is getting concerned at the amount of repairs I am doing to it. No point having an awesome riding bike if you can never bloody ride it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. @JH_1986 Well it is a DVT, so a year and a bit I guess, my 2013 MS had for near 2 years, 12k on that one, no issues except a usual recall,and common like sticky starter button, have a monster 821 2.5k no issues, but you are right I would not keep one long term, as on my mileage basis I do think it is not worth it.
    I do understand that people seem to be having issues, but so far I seem lucky.
    Thing is a real issue for me, is it stops working and I cannot ride it, where as a trip resetting etc. is not an issue and I get it sorted when need be, so far on my DVT have had the stand replaced recall, and the map updates etc.
    Yes somethings are niggly, and corrosion a pain, but tbh I see that on all bikes, I see all bikes having problems, and recalls, what ever the cost of them new.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I would agree with the above. I had a panigale for 2 years put 10k on it and it was atrocious reliability and build quality. I have been test riding the ktm 1190 and the dvt and really liked the multistrada but can't see past the bad user experience u had with my Panigale so decided to keep what I have for the moment.

When I get around to looking at bikes again the superduke gt looks a cracking bike. So my money will probably go there. Visiting dealers every 2m to get another warranty claim became very tiring over my 2 years ownership

6. Have you actually read the review? and looked at the long list of what is included on the bike? and the side bags cannot be that small, you can get a helmet in there.
    I am sure a rack will come out for it, Yes It is not an adventure it is a sports tourer, so in my case the 3/5 day break it sounds perfect, ,,,,, On Paper ofc.

7. No-one has had a DVT for long, since they only came out a year ago. But some of us, including @MaDProFF and me, have had pre-DVT Multistradas before and have indeed kept them for a few years. "Disenfranchised" ? Do you mean disillusioned, perhaps? In either case, no not really.

8. Yes you had pre DVT multi's but, not for long. What you did was upgrade around when the warranty ran out (when things started to go wrong). You definition of long as being 30,000 miles and 3-4 (maybe 5) years really isn't. What it is is an attempt at defending the reliability by saying you were fine for the short while you had it. A 2010 vehicle that's done less that 30,000 miles should not be going wrong like these ones are.

Also, recalls shouldn't be ignored. Everyone saying "my DVT hasn't skipped a beat or gone wrong once" is lying because recalls count. It's time off he road getting a repair done because the manufacturer dropped he ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. You are absolutely right, it is true that in the case of a type which was introduced in 2010, nobody has experienced one for more than six years. Likewise, a model introduced in 2015 cannot have been used for more than one year. I agree with you entirely on those points.

Since retiring I no longer travel for work nor commute to work, so I only do about 8,000 miles per year which thus makes me unqualified to comment - so I shall say no more.

10. Where the MCN multi-bike reviews are unhelpful is in the apparent need to declare a winner. Why award a first second and third place? The bikes all all essentially sports, or sporty, tourers and general all-rounders, each with their individual twist. Just make a comparative review and let readers decide which one would suit them. They're all great bikes but which one is "best" is subjective. Its fine to say the KTM is the most sporty, the Ducati is the most tourer-like and the BMW is somewhere in between. That's useful. Then share with us the details that have lead you to that conclusion and leave the individual rider to decide which might suit them best. We don't need podium places.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. I think the most obvious point here is that there's a high variability in the delivered quality of Multis (and prob other Dukes too) Some go with no real problems for 30K miles and their finish stands up well and some are constantly failing and rust at the sight of a raindrop.
    I take JH's point about recalls counting and they do, but I don't think Ducati are any worse than other manufacturers like BMW like that. Certainly that's what my dealer (who also sells Beemers) tells me. Dunno how Honda, Yam, Kwak and Suzi are with recalls these days but I bet any bike with a shit-load of electronics has a similar level of recalls.

12. I was given almost a grand worth of goodies from ktm as my 1190 was so unreliable
    Probably because I was fucking furious they had the bike so long I doubt my bad experience made them change the bike for future builds
    As someone rightly pointed out shit goes wrong with them all
    I have worked at a reasonably high level as a tier 1 manufacturing manager for nearly twenty years
    We are definitely all Guinea pigs when it comes to technology and you can't imagine how much cheaper it is to spend less Money on cheap components in comparison to fending off some moaning peeps who have issues with their pride and joy or issuing a recall
    Purchasing rules unfortunately
    My opinion is either stay on the pot or go buy something less sophisticated , which doesn't guarantee reliability
    It's a harsh reality of buying bikes
    Whether it's a £15,000 bike or a £150,000 car.
    £1,000,000 F1 cars that are bespoke built break down as do £250,000 moto GP bikes
    Imagine their reliability if they were mass production built?

13. This is why I'll be going backwards to a 990 engined KTM. Highly reliable without all the electronics to go wrong. Perfectly happy with my TC and engine modes being my right wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Nowadays when we buy a washing machine, a microwave oven, a television, or a vacuum cleaner we expect them to be totally reliable for years with no servicing whatever, and we are rarely disappointed. So when we buy a highly complicated, sophisticated machine like a motorbike we are outraged when we find it requires adjustments, repairs and maintenance, or shows signs of age. We also expect the whole machine to be light in weight, yet every component to be indestructibly robust.

15. Yep...?
    And at +30-200% the price of the competition I'd say YES yet again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. My 2015 top of the range sprinter van has been back for 2 recalls in 12 months.
    Emissions and electronics....wouldn't have another van unless it was an even higher spec sprinter.

17. Try and px any bike with over 18k on it. It's not just Ducati

18. AndyW did exactly that and was very happy with his 990 SMT the last I heard.

19. Genuinely because you say your going back to a KTM JH, I thought I'd have a quick look to see if there was a SMT forum, and there is. So I had a quick look at some of the threads, it is like reading this Multi forum but in Orange. It seems to me that there are no ultra reliable motorcycles out there, just ones you may or may not be lucky with sadly :(

20. Mmmm...I took a look at the KTM forum for info re the 1290 and you're right. Lots of familiar sounding stories....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information