1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mk1 Or Mk2 Golf Gti

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sambighair, Jan 29, 2023.

1. A quick google and it’s 1541 kgs

2. Not my figures but Jez quoted out these numbers, which surprised me hence my query.

3. Missed that :joy: I guess he was adding my heft in with the numbers!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nah the one you used to have compared to the one you might get!

I don't know the models that well.
    There was the first one which was an oversized Polo. Then a great one, followed by one with twin lights. Then came the rectangle light version and after that its the modern one! LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Funnily enough, I don't do much walking/ hiking at all...

6. that makes sense, an electric scooter sounds like a priority if you ever do. :upyeah:

7. Yes you are correct. Looking at my post, I compared vehicle weights of MK1 in Lbs with Kg weight of R32. What a bastard getting old is!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I would go for an early mk2 8-valve. I had one (bbs rims..yay :D) and it was so much better than my mates 16v mk2.... Raw, violent yet unbreakable. I'm fairly sure that the late 8v were "softer" too.
    If you want the later look, obviously dead easy to fit large bumpers, single/dual headlights... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. I had one of those. Absolutely awesome. Seemed to have a bit of a steering problem though - I was always on the wrong side of the road ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. What about mk2 rally??

11. If I could find or afford one I’d be all over it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The ONLY vw I would buy

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Mk1 is the one for the purists - probably the best "driver's car".
    The Mk2 is more powerful, but heavier (especially the 5-door).

The ideal car would be a Mk1 shell, fitted with a 16v engine and power steering from a Mk2.

14. I would go for a ‘91 16V.
    It was my first car i had,when i was 18.
    I drove with MK 1 GTI’s as well,they are real fun as well,but crazy money.
    Think you have more car for your money with a MK 2.
    Or as said,buy a normal MK1 and put a 16V or G60 in it,and then you have a real fun car.
    I just sold a MK 1 wich i was gonna put a 16v engine in it,still has the BBS RS wheels and BBS steering wheel laying for it.

Henk!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Randomly enough, a friend has a MK4 R32 for sale, I can say my head has been turned slightly! Went to see a mk2 valver yesterday, none original engine unfortunately and no documented history of the swap, at the price it was up for I want something very original! Also had an appointment to see one darn sarf, hired a car trailer and everything, the tit cancelled on my the night before! Seems he couldn’t be arsed getting it out of storage! :mad:

16. I know one for sale,original owner and 70.000km.
    But the man knows what he has and ask 40.000€ for it.

Henk!!!

Screenshot_20200902-204223_Photos.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information