1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured V4 Motogp Fairing Project

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Right I’ve been back and forth on this for a few months and I’ve decided what the hell, let’s see if I can do it. Sure it’s gonna annoy some folk, but the winters long and if I don’t do it I’ll only do something else equally as pointless :joy:

Can I make a full set of MotoGP Ducati Factory bodywork to fit a panigale V4?

So I started by buying a 1:18 Jack miller model GP22 factory bike and scanned it with one of my RevoPoint 3D scanners. With the 3D model I’ve started remodelling the panels in CAD and with a scan of my V4 (without fairing) I’ve scaled the GP22 panels and overlayed on the V4 mesh.

IMG_4258.jpeg

so while I’m sure I can make the fairings by 3D printing and them either making a mould or skinning them directly in fibreglass or carbon fibre, I’ve not decided yet and I think there will be some trial and error along the way. So I’ll probably make some videos to show the carnage and chaos of trying to make a complete set of MotoGP panels :)

so I’ll pop some updates on here as I go along. And all being well I’ll be the one at the trackday that looks a complete tool on a MotoGP replica :joy:

• Like Like x 27
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Epic!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm pretty impressed by the model, so if the real thing is going to be 18 x better then it will be incredible.
    Just make sure you get full matching leathers, boots etc, they always look good on a trackday ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Having built a few replicas of other bikes I fully support this exercise in self delusion.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Looking forward to this :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Great project, look forward to following.

I’ve made most of the panels and carbon bits on my bike. The fairing was a winter project, a steep learning curve especially mold making. The satisfaction knowing you made it rather than bought it is so good. C920499F-E372-4FA7-9369-2FBF23A1AF1E.png Good luck.
    A pic of my handy work…

#6 doogalman, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 17
  7. This sounds such a great project, keep us updated

I have been thinking about this type of project for a while, want to make something that stands out at some point so love to see more on the process as you go

8. Sexual.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Amazing skills you guys have.

10. Have you done it yet?:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. So, going to start with the tail and seat unit.

While I haven’t quite decided whether to try and make a rear subframe used on the GP22 like the one below out of ally or just make some covers for my motoholders subframe to replicate the “look”

IMG_6660.jpeg

anyway split the 1:18 model down and scanned the tail pieces separately

IMG_8583.jpeg IMG_8581.jpeg

Popped the scanned mesh into Shapr3D then made a CAD model for the top / bottom and seat panel and then scaled them up to overlay the scan I have of my V4

IMG_0055.png
    IMG_0061.png
    IMG_0063.png

just to show the scan of the model size compared to the scan of the V4 I popped the scan model on the V4 tank :joy:

The rear piece is so big it won’t be able to fit on the printer whole, this shows the print bed and the size of the tail

IMG_8570.jpeg

Only option is to split the model into smaller pieces. So put it into Meshmixer to split into 4 pieces to print on the creality CR10 max. This is going to be a bit trial and error tweaking the settings for the print as it be quarter of the rear panel is a 20 hour print. So looking at 4 days printing just for the rear top fairing (the bit that usually has the stegasaurus fins on) I will do the stegasaurus fins last.

so it’s printed the first part of the project. Fingers crossed it’s a usable print.

#11 DRR117, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. @DRR117 v.interesting project. what does your 3D capture and modelling pipeline look like? a point cloud from the RevoPoint 3D, which you manually trace in 3D then slice?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cloud point converted to mesh in the RevoScan software. Then the mesh used as a guide really to model around in Shapr3D.

I have DesignX / Solidworks to AutoSurface and create a solid, which I could then 3D print a mould.. but at the minute I just find it easier trying to build a 3D CAD model with the Mesh as a template / guide.

The 1:18 model isn’t 100% accurate so my CAD model allows me a little artistic licence. Plus I’m learning this as I go so no doubt I’ll stumble across easier ways to make the model…. Probably when I print the last piece :joy:

14. Well 12 hours in and it looks to be printing ok. Printing the front left section of the rear top panel. Hopefully be finished this afternoon and I can start part 2.

This is the 3rd print attempt, as the first 2 failed so had to adjust the printer settings.

Creality CR-10 Smart printer with a 300x300x400mm print space.

IMG_8601.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  15. Witchcraft!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I wish I had the brain capacity to get into 3d printing, so much can be done with them. Sadly im more mechanically minded than computer stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bloody mind-blowing this... Image when we have these sat next to the fridge and just order up what we want... **..Blown..**

• Like Like x 2
  18. As another who has no idea about 3d printing, what is your rough estimate on costs for the project? It’s bloody fascinating to me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Do you take Wotsits?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. i have some orange filament, I could print a giant wotsit when the bikes finished :bucktooth::joy::joy:

#20 DRR117, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information