1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Mts 1200 Enduro Is Misfiring

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Desmobrains, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Hello everyone,

misfiring is back... I did about 200Km without issues since I replaced the horizontal HT cables and the plugs...
    This morning it was misfiring even when idling....
    What shall I do now? Replace the remaining HT cables?
    Thank you.

Cheers,

2. Was this 200km ride in the rain? I have had problems with misfiring under load after riding in the rain.

3. I'd find someone with the software to read the codes and confirm the cause. A good independent should have a reader and won't charge a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. First 100k was under heavy rain/snow, low temperatures and didn't have issues... the rest under sunny days.
    I was back in Greece for one month where the motorcycle was stored in my garage. Could it be related to the fuel?
    I am always using premium fuel (98 or 102).

Back in the day I even stored it for longer periods without issues...

I had a look last night into the new plugs and they look very good... What the heck shall I check now?
    There is no check engine light...

I also checked the exhaust valve and works fine.... Belts are also fine....

5. Possibly I will buy the ODBSTAR and do it myself, but I am afraid that it will not return anything. ..

6. It's a capable and useful diagnostic tool but you might be correct that as an error hasn't appeared on the dash there won't be anything to read. If however, there's been an error displayed, albeit briefly and then disappeared, then that will be logged and readable.

If you could find a forum member nearby that has a reader then that would be useful. Though you seem to live in Greece and Germany so that does reduce your chances somewhat... I'm in Cologne in mid June if that helps?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for coming back.
    I am already checking to buy ODBSTAR for Ducati. And I will go and replace the main HT cable for the vertical cylinder as well. Months ago, I installed a DNA air filter and I wanted to check the plugs too, but the main HT cables for both cylinders did not come out easily... I was pulling them like hell to unplug them.... thus I may somehow destroyed them (I put some grease on them and now they come out much easier).

Once the filter was installed and everything was assembled back, first time I started the engine I got a check engine light which was gone itself after a 200k ride. The misfiring issue appeared somewhere at that point, if I recall well.

The year before, I drove the multi back in Greece (10000Km in total) and the lovely thing broke down in the borders between Switzerland and Italy under heavy rain... and the issue was the starter's relay plug as it melted it down. Luckily I located the issue and fixed it on the spot and I was able to reach the ferry on time...

Once I reached Greece, I went to a Ducati dealer to properly restore the issue. From that point and on, the motorcycle was running fine up to the point I replaced the filter. The question here is if the starter's relay issue affected something else....

Sorry for this extensive message, but I am sharing with you everything as it may conclude somewhere....

Cheers,
    Panos

8. Looks like it was something you did when you replaced the filter to me.
    Reverse your work and see what happens.

9. Hello to everyone,

Issue has been resolved!!! Simply I measured the resistance of each HT cable and all of them were in 4.75kohm except the main one of the vertical cylinder which returning a crazy number (open circuit) and when you playing a bit with the cable on its length, it was displaying 4. something kOhm...
    So, what I did, i ordered new ones but it will time to get delivered as they are not stock. Therefore, I used the one from the vertical cylinder, which was replaced recently(after measuring it of course). I rode the bike the last days for 500km and works perfectly fine.

I also bought the ODBSTAR, scanned the bike, just found some errors relating to fuel sensor, cleared them up and never shown again ever since.

Concluding, I think I killed the HT cable while trying to pull it out for checking the plugs.... the pipes for the main plugs are very tight and require an immense amount of power to get them out for first time...now i put a smear of crease there and they come easily out.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I trashed mine too the first time I tried pulling them out.
    I found that if you run the bike to warm things up first, they come out much easier.

11. I think this may not be relevant now but in 2014 I had a new vstrom that developed a terrible misfire that would only happen when the engine was warm and got worse the hotter the engine got. It was ok under a very light throttle but if you cracked it, the bike just died. Then it got to the point that it would only idle at full operating temperature. This meant that if you let it cool down it would be good for up to 5km before it was too dodgy to ride. So it was the MAP sensor, more specifically the wiring loom branch running to the MAP sensor but it was rubbing on the underside of the fuel tank until it developed a short.. Our local Suzuki guy found it and the bikes were then subject to a worldwide service bulletin as a result.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information