1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mts 1200s Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Andy Mac, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Me too, just fitted a set. Medium for rear and soft for front.
    Cost £292 fitted at Wraysbury tyres (in Chertsey!)...
    Get Kevin (owner) to fit them, not the young donkey who stratched my wheel and put the rear on backwards.

Running 2.7Bar in both back and front (Harder to kidnap rider weighing in at a slim 18'10).
    Super sticky (tyre)- pleasure rider (no commuting), try to stay off Motorways, but hard in West London.
    Will keep updated every so often.
    So far brilliant in the dry on loads of different surfaces...I will not be off roading with these.

2. Just to be different I have just fitted Metzler Z8 Roadtecs to mine.
    First impressions are good. I will keep you all posted
    £265 fitted at Dave Clarks in Oxford.

3. Has anyone tried the Anakee 3's? I have just fitted them to my Caponord and they are a vast improvement over the 2's which I thought were great. 3's are more road. I get 6k from a rear and 10k from a front using the 2's. I imagine the extra 50hp might alter this.

4. Hi,
    I'm in a similar position to Andy Mac. I was recently talking to the service manager at my local dealership, who tells me that the Pilot Road 2s and Pilot Road 3s can't cope with the power/torque produced by the 1200 engine, and are just ripping up. I'm now confused, of course, as you guys are recommending these tyres. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem with these tyres. I've previously run PR 2s on other bikes, and have been over the moon with them - good longevity, stick to the ceiling if you get them warm, that sort of thing.

5. No issues of them ripping up tbh Dave from my side. TC is controlled by the right hand, I think most the dealer/s are pushing Pirelli's by the sounds of it.

6. The cynic in me wonders what he'd like to sell you instead. Had 2 sets, they've been fine with the power. I'm getting some odd wear off the front but that's mostly down to lots of weight and late braking, I expect.

7. That's as I thought. I've certainly had no problems with PR2s on previous bikes. It's probably as you say; dealers pushing Pirellis. Either that, or he's got shares in the Company! Thanks for your help.
    Dave

8. Can anyone advice me on what tires to use in the mountains ( MTS 1200 ) ?

-------------
    www.ducatibits.org -
    The site for (secondhand) Ducat (parts).

#28 slider, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. I can't believe the dealer comments about the PR3s, pretty outrageous me thinks! Mine have been up mountains, off-road through gravel and mud, 150mph on Autobahns, not a problem at all. I have been more confident on them in the wet than ever before on any tyre or bike. I have never had an unexpected slide (always on some mud, gravel or other culprit).

I am on now on my 2nd set of PR3s that have over 5K miles and still plenty of life left and a really good profile thanks to the dual compound. They are head and shoulders the best tyre on the Multi in my and many other MTS riders opinions. I found the OEM Scorpions very nervous on cold wet roads and wore out and lost profile by 3K miles.

Just put over 1600 miles on a loaned MTS1200GT with the Angel GT tyres and covered plenty of wet miles and temps down to 3c (in Portugal of all places!!!). I would rate them as a better tyre than the standard Scorpions but not as confident in the wet as the PR3. Also unknown how well they keep their profile after a few thousand miles. I had a couple of small slides but made pretty good pace in the wet and right to the edge in the dry. Here is that tyre which was really good but still bettered by the PR3s.

GT Tyre.jpg

GT Tyre.jpg

10. PR3s are great, but they don't last as long as PR2s (because of the extra slashes) and PR2s are way good enough anyway (Cadwell Park in heavy rain good), so you can save money by buying the 'older' model. Z8 Interacts are even better in the wet than PR3s, if reports are to be believed. I prefer the feel of BT023s over either of the Michelins and they're not too much worse in the wet.

11. Slicks?

12. Pilot Power 3s and Bridgestone S20s.

13. Any bo

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Any body tried the metzeler racetec or pirelli supercorsa on there DMS as I'm now about to but my first one for fast road riding ?

15. Not interested in longevity or off road dust busting, need dry weather Grip/Feel anyone tried Conti's Attacks.

16. Interesting: No One perfers Grip / Feel over Mileage and Price??

17. I think the focus on harder wearing tyres is because these bikes can brutalize the rubber if they're ridden hard and modern sport touring rubber is as good for grip as sports tyres were not that many years ago.

My bike came with a brand new PR4 rear and used front at 7200 miles... So it's 3rd rear tyre in that mileage. My street triple got 6K on the factory rosso corsa's and they were still plenty legal when I had Metzeler's fitted at the 6K service.

I do like Metzeler for some reason so will probably have the M7RR when these tyre's are done.

18. My Multi 1200 GT came with a part worn front and brand new rear Pirelli GT2 and I wasn't sure about them having not used Pirelli's on previous bikes for years. I was pleasantly surprised and managed to get to the edge of them in the dry and the confidence was growing in the wet too till a nail through the rear after 3500 miles put paid to that. When I went to replace it the only similar tyres the stockist had to fit was Bridgestone T30 so had a pair of them put on.

Turn in is exceptionally quick which was a bit weird on a tall bike like the Multi and I have yet to have some decent weather to explore the grip levels so jury is out on them at the moment but will see how they do mileage wise

19. What tyres are you running now AirCon ?I’ve 2012 Sport in need of some new rubber.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information