1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi 2013 - best "change" for 2014

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by spanish, Dec 10, 2013.

1. The heel on the centre stand is annoying, but having not taken anything off yet cant comment. But having to remove the can to take the wheel of is a little idiotic

2. Agree with what Andy has listed and would add a couple of others.

- Move the rear seat lock to a higher more obvious position so it doesn't get so dirty and so that the key is more obvious and put a switch in it so that the bike WILL NOT start with the key in the lock. Happened to 2 mates but not myself yet, thankfully the key never fell out!
    - Front exhaust guard either fitted as standard or as an accessory - I have the Touratech one fitted and keeps lots of rubbish out of the belly pan and I think looks better. Also have a home made Front Head guard fitted and the two go together well.
    - While fixing the exhaust valve area can they get a better coating on the heat shield that doesn't rub off when your boot touches it.

My 2013 MTS is now on 12K+ faultless miles and is my second Multi - IMHO it is the best bike out there (at the moment)!

3. Sorry Veetwin but I find it difficult to believe you've done 12,000 miles on your multi faultlessly, sorry. There must have been some problem ?

4. Never mind bothering Veetwin. I'm now on my 3rd one and haven't had an ounce of bother with any of them.

5. Why is it hard to believe? I've done 2k so far and its been fine...althou now its furred like feck coz fs365 is shite and I need to power wash off!

6. OK it has been back to the dealer 3 times

1st - 600 Mile service
    2nd - 7500 mile service
    3rd - Skyhook rear sensor recall / replacement.

That is it! - Naturally it has had new tyres and a new set of rear brake pads.

7. CJS remapping

I agree. I have seamless power across the rev range in all gears on my 2013 model, so does anyone think there is anything to be gained from remapping?

8. Luck of the draw I guess. 8,800 miles on mine since May and I've had to have the rear accelerometer and clutch master cylinder replaced. Both rectified quickly and without fuss but it was so scary trying to get the MTS home when the clutch was failing that I gave up and called Ducati assist. First time I have failed to at least limp home in forty-plus years on two wheels. Still the best bike available at the moment, I'm willing to bet.

I don't reckon I could have relied on many bikes to have stayed in shape and pulled up under control when a SMIDSY did a U-turn out of a line of traffic I was filtering past - but the MTS did, with no fuss whatsoever.

All bikes - even Hondas - have issues. My first 250 wore out bores and cam lobes inside 15,000 miles and my 900FZ leaked engine oil from the head from new even after a new gasket had been fitted - solution? A new head courtesy of Mr Honda. And, of course, my 1979 Jota had a porous head, but I half expected that!

9. Did you manage to source the blank key online? If so, please share! Thanks.

10. Just hit 12k. DSS errors and a flat battery. DSS error most puzzling. Killed the diagnostic software at my dealers. Had the recall and has been appearing intermittently again.

Other than that, no other drama save for the number nails/screws on the road.

O, another major thing Andy, the scratching of the left fork leg by the ABS/DSS wiring.

11. Got the blank from my local bike dealer P&H Crawley.

12. Thanks

13. Got a blank key, JMA ZA-14P, cut to suit from my local locksmith for £10 all in. :smile:

14. Aviacompositi Part

[​IMG]

15. I drilled a small whole through mine in the corner so I could put a key ring through it, works a treat !
    if you open the fob up, as if you were putting in a new battery you can see exactly where to drill

16. I would like shaft drive next time. I don,t like the mess and trouble of a chain on a touring bike.
    Other than that the 2013 is the best bike on the market for me so I hope I am not forced to consider the opposition (that all happen to have a shaft.

17. I never thought I would read that on a Ducati site. The MTS is not a tourer ... surely that is the point. I can't see Ducati ever making a shaft-drive bike, Thanks god!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Each to his own. I like to be able to do long distances without having to worry about chain lube or adjustment or having to get lube off of my other half's kit. One of the ride modes is 'Touring' after all! I'm sure Ducati will get there at some point in the future. Triumph and BMW are catching up in performance and handling and have the convenience of a shaft.

19. #39 pumpman, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  20. Each to his own, as you say, and there are several shaft-drive bikes out there for people who like them.

I have never owned a shaft-drive bike and never will after riding tens of thousands of miles in the USA on a hired GS1200.

I use a Scott oiler on my MTS ... no maintenance problems at all. Try one. And though shaft-driven bikes from Triumph and BMW are catching up in some ways, they will never catch up in the handling arena. Shaft drive is convenient but agricultural and horrible, both aesthetically and in terms of feel and handling (it's amazingly easy to drop a fully-laden GS when you're turning slowly) and that is probably why Ducati does not favour it. As you say, one of the MTS's modes is touring ... but so are sport and off road - how could those be accommodated on a shaft-drive bike?

If the MTS went shaft drive it would no longer be a Multistrada (many roads). If I want convenience I take the car.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information