1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Multistrada 950... Finally :-) What You Think?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Schifi, Nov 7, 2016.

1. That would require an entirely different type of VVT, with a lot of different parts. It would also involve departing from the VW system (to which Ducati have access as part of the VW Group). The Honda system works in a different way, and has its own drawbacks as well as advantages. I think Ducati will be sticking with and refining the DVT system as it is for some years to come.

2. I'm not sure about the current versions but the first VFRs with Vtec weren't true VVT systems. As you say the lobe height was changed which gave very on/off characteristic which riders generally didn't like. The Ducati system is infinitely variable, within limits due to mechanical considerations, and as Pete says still has much room for development.

3. It is not actually infinitely variable. The cam gear units are in one position when no oil pressure is applied and in the 2nd position when oil pressure is applied. there is no mechanism to hold it between the two positions. Transition is however smooth, unlike Vtec

4. I stand corrected.

5. it's a great system though, far superior to Honda's Vtec.

6. And in my opinion better ( not faster) than the KTM 1190 I traded in to buy it

7. Sorry but I'm sure it is a continuously variable system. There are sensors to determine the timing of each cam, so the oil pressure can be modulated on either side of the vanes in the cam phaser to drive the cam timing to a specific degree of overlap, from negative 37 degrees to a maximum of 53 degrees. So it's a servo system rather than a simple actuator, which does not require any feedback, which you describe.

8. Do you have any evidence for that proposition, or are you speculating @TaskMule ? I don't think that's right, but I would be willing to stand corrected if you can prove otherwise.

9. Indeed. A fine illustration of the principle that anyone who decides to correct someone else's error can spare themselves embarrassment by first checking their own facts.

10. TBF that also says its 160hp, which it never is even with affair wind and avgas...

11. The DVT is a considerable improvement around town,also much nicer pulling out of hairpin bends. You lose a bit of the top end rush but overall I'm much happier with my DVT.

The original VFR was vile to ride!

12. I don't usually comment direct on posts... but I can't help myself this time - what is it makes you say that the Africa Twin seems better value? I'm honestly curious!

Tim

13. Whilst your'e waiting for the answer ( as we all are) , why is it manufacturers are making bikes so heavy :(

#54 fatbob99, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. Without getting drawn in further!!!! :)

Firstly, there used to be a habit of quoting dry weight which has now changed to most quoting wet weight. We also used to suspect that some figures were optimistic so maybe the delta is not so much as it seems - but I could easily be proved wrong on that so don't hold it against me!

And then there is certainly some added weight for Euro 4 compliance etc. It has become a challenge to even keep the same weight from one version to the next.

Lastly, in relation to the bike in question here, the Multistrada 950, there really isn't much variance in the content vs the 1200 which would drive weight saving.

Tim

15. I lived for a couple of years in the USA and was friends with a guy who worked in the technical division of Suzuki USA. He told me that at the height of the next years bike must be lighter, more powerful, faster etc etc wars the specified weight wasn't even taken from weighing a fully assembled bike. It was the theoretical minimum weight of all of the individual components and fasteners added together. Thus dry weight was exactly that, and as well as not including any oil or petrol as might be expected it didn't include any grease in bearings, oil used to assemble moving components, or loctite used on fasteners.

16. Right here goes. My ceremonial sword is polished and ready to fall on if needed.
    Firstly this is my opinion looking at the AT and baby Multistrada.
    Price of the Multi with Touring pack in white is i'm told by a dealer, £11,850. The AT with h/grips-m/stand&panniers is £11,829. Figures from a dealer. Bear in mind that Honda have just put the price of the AT up by several hundred pounds. My ride on it and subsequent post was with the old price in mind.
    The AT comes with wheels (size and spokes) better suited to off road riding. To change the Multi ones would incur greater cost. Unless they offer the Enduro Multi ones as an option (if they fit).
    So in the round I do think the Honda offers better value for money if you want to go on/off road, take luggage and tour on it.
    As for build quality and reliability; that is something i can not comment on yet! (I pray the baby Multi will be better than my old 11 plate M1200 Sport Touring).
    If anyone thinks the opposite please show your workings! Thanks.

17. I'd take that pint of Guinness back to the bar there Tim, you've been short dealed !

18. Somebody asks what bike you've got. Do you want to answer (a) a Honda or (b) a Ducati? QED

19. I'd been looking for a while at a multistrada etc and after trying a fair few makes decided on the 950 multistrada over the 1200 Why ? . It works better in the real world and is a more rounded ride . I would compare it to my old buell uylsees but more refined . Yes the 1200 was quicker up top as you'd expect but up to 110 ish I found little in it . The big service intervals are also a real bonus . I concur with what mcn said when they tested the 2 together . On a price point compared to the competition yam tracer gt 900 ktm 1090 adventure there's not a lot in it and both mentioned needed a seat upgrade for me as they was so uncomfortable.The yam suspension is pants in comparison as well so the duc seems even better value . Imho the duc also is better finished and looks much nicer .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information