1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 848R Build

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Sinister, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Today I put the side fairings & belly back together & getting ready for the ghost airbrushing to get applied, laid out the design so tomorrow it will begin! :D

#141 Sinister, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. I'm sorry but it's now looking like a tarts handbag. There's too much going on.

Have you ever heard the phrase "sometimes less is more"?

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's not finished...it will look good in my eyes & it's not just a regular factory run of the mill 848, it's got custom touches & at least it isn't plastered with stickers (decals) all over it, I am making the bike suited to my taste, personalizing it, something different & not just a stock 848 like the countless others that are out there...that's what makes this project unique...I want mine to stand out lol!

#143 Sinister, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. What are you airbrushing on? Are you going over the decals?!

5. It is going to standout, but no way is anything to do with "R" spec. It's looking more like a catalogue built bike as it progresses. But it will be yours and to your personality so that's a very positive thing. I have very little knowledge of the custom scene in the US, but this seems to fit in with the trend as viewed from Europe. A lot of dollars and energy are gong into this build, lets hope you find satisfaction at the end :upyeah:

6. looks like the airbrush is going to be chequered flag marks.........

mmmmmmmmmm!

7. No Andy, you should recognise it at Batternburg squares :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ar right, I thought that was the backing for some masked off materiel

9. it appears the saying is wrong that when the flag drops the bull shoite stops.........:biggrin:

10. No, I am not going to airbrush over the logo, it's going to be a very subtle ghost flag where you will only see it when the light hits it a certain way...

As for the "R" spec, how do you know if or if I don't have Ti rods, valves, different cams...maybe that's my secret and I just didn't say anything or post pics up while the motor was out in its earlier stage :wink:

I agree that in Europe a lot of people just want their cars or bike's standard factory just like the way off the showroom floor, I grew up in the custom scene wear I like my toys personalized to me, yes there are a lot of guys that do go overboard to whatever they are building but mine are a fraction compared to the others in North America lol!

I get ripped because I put Rizoma parts "fluid tanks, grips, engine cover & oil filler cap" on the bike and those are quality Italian parts not Chinese "Sato" like I see on other Ducati's...but to each their own lol!

I plan on keeping my bike for a very long time & enjoy riding it every chance I get, I will display it at shows just like my cars & those are not trailer queens by any means!
    [​IMG]
    The Camaro has been in countless shows, calendars & at the race track it ran an 11.5@118mph straight motor & no power adders...also has been signed by some very reputable car gurus like Chip Foose because he just loved the car the way I built it!
    [​IMG]
    Ladies posing with it for calendar shoots!
    [​IMG]
    So I build things to the extent where it's not overdone there is a fine line and I have a pretty good eye in making my things the way I want!

#150 Sinister, Jan 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. but you dont and even if you did it wouldnt be a 848R as they dont make them......there is no need as there is no race series other than racing another 848, and they dont need to be homologated for that...........:upyeah:

12. Exactly! That's why I did what I did, so nobody knows what or if an 848"R" consists of...internally & externally because it has never been made, that is my vision on this bike...and that's why I made it as it is, so in retrospect I didn't copy any bike I just simply created mine to what I would do to an 848, stock is nice but I didn't want to be the guy with just another plain 848 :wink:

13. Some of the mods I like, some I don't. It, however is not my bike. It presses the correct buttons for you, or at least I hope it does when it's finished. That's what biking is in my eyes. Standard bikes don't do it for me and clearly they don't for you either.

Now, that may not sound like a compliment but It is meant as one. Lol

So as much as some of the mods don't suit my taste, I like it.

I can imagine there are parts on my bike you wouldn't like and parts you would but individuality is the key.

So, the crooks of this post is, nice one dude, good on you :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Very well said! That's how it goes, you don't try to please everyone but yourself weather you get compliments or not as long as you are happy with your build!

• Like Like x 1
  15. +1 from me too Sinister, bits I like, bits I don't like but it's YOUR bike and you should do what YOU want.

The American tuning/modding approach is totally different to the UK scene. :upyeah:

16. Let's be honest, we should all be glad he hasn't fitted a 4 foot chrome plated swinger :p

#156 14990, Jan 27, 2013
  17. That has to be the ugliest mod that anyone does on any bike...a definite no no! Lol!

18. Hahahaha good man!!

19. I see those bikes here and I just can't understand why they would do that, I mean it looks way out of proportion and just butt ugly...most likely to put a 240 tyre on it but no I never did like that look!

20. So have you ordered a gold plated one instead?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information