Need Help Diagnosing A Starting Issue (1993 Superlight)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by tboooe, Mar 21, 2023.

1. UPDATE....
    OK guys, I know I am slow on the uptake but I had to understand and learn for myself whats happening. First thing I did today was adjust the idle fuel mixture screws so they are 4 turns out on both horizontal and vertical. They were originally set at about 2 1/2 turns. I also completely backed out the idle speed adjuster screw. At these settings the bike fires up instantly with or without the enricher on. Previously, the bike was very hard to start even with the enricher set at max. I am now able to turn down the enricher until its barely on and the bike runs nicely, with both cylinders firing. No backfiring like before. I can even start the bike without the enricher which I have never been able to do before. As expected the bike wont idle without a bit of throttle. I also noticed the horizontal cylinder is not firing without the enricher on. I know this because there is no heat radiating from that header or cylinder. So based on this, can I assume the horizontal pilot jet is blocked?

I have another set of recently rebuilt and cleaned carbs so I will swap that in.

I have one hopefully simple question for initial setup of the new carbs.
    • I am bit confused what the procedure is to set idle so any input would be appreciated.
      • Is the idle mainly set by the fuel mixture screws and the idle speed adjuster is just for fine tuning?
      • In other words should the bike be able to idle with the idle speed adjuster screw fully backed out?
    • Is the correct procedure:
      • Back the idle speed screw all the way out
      • Start with fuel mixture screws backed out 4 turns
      • Keep backing out the fuel mixture screws 1/4 turn at time until RPMs stop climbing then turn them back in 1/4 turn
      • Do this separately for each cylinder
      • Adjust idle speed screw to achieve idle at 1200rpm if required.

#21 tboooe, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
Do Not Sell My Personal Information