1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ducati Monster 1200 for 2014 ( spy shots )

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Dubs, Sep 30, 2013.

1. It's better than what I was expecting or had given Ducati credit for. I had feared it would be a Diavel in drag which I've never really liked from when it was launched. I'd buy it for a $1. ;0)

2. 135 or 145 bhp? I think I'll send my S4Rs for a few more ponies. Plus the older Monster looks prettier IMHO.

3. I really like it, I love the fact they have gone for a hybrid steel trellis like the original desmo, ie just supports the front end and the swingarm all supported by the engine

• Like Like x 1
  4. I was very quick to dismiss this new Monster initially (I want a new Panigale derived Streetfighter damnit!!) but I quite like the looks of it. If it gets near 150bhp, then I'll chuck in my 1098SF for a white M1200R. Looks pretty in white (all my bikes are white).
    Monster 1200 white.jpg

Monster 1200 white.jpg

5. I like it so far but will have to see and try it.

6. Standard 135bhp and S 145bhp Jerry, as good as the RS is think you'll struggle to get those numbers :biggrin:

7. I know 145bhp is a lot for a naked but surely they could've upped it a bit more?

Dont get me wrong , I actually really like the look of it, obviously the exhaust needs to go and I'm sure by the time you sort the airbox out and get it tuned it'll probably kick out 150+

its just a pity that deep down you know they've not fettled the engine as much as they could and I just have the feeling they've aimed at a middle road figure so that it doesn't tread on the toes of next years launch of a naked panigale.

8. Yep. That's why the Monster is popular.

9. I was probably one of the few that though it was a good idea to use some of the Diavel design details for the next Monster but I'm not totally convinced that I like the design of the M1200. I has become just as complicated to look at as the Street Fighter and it looks like the decision to extend the wheelbase has been taken after the design was frozen, it looks wrong somehow with the huge gap under the seat. Also, the swingarm design is leaving the chain hanging in mid-air looking a bit wierd and the Diavel plateholder looks like it has to go really quick to clean up the bike.

I do love the new frame though, brilliant merging of a load-bearing engine and a great looking piece of (small) frame. I also really like that they have taken the use of the bike seriously and remapped the engine caracteristics for city use, the big racetrack Ducs are are a pain to use in city traffic. All the new electronic programs seems to be the way ahead for most bikes and after driving the Aprilia Dorsoduro I was quite convinced that it is a great feature. It means that you can have the 150 hp bragging right while driving safely with a lot less power most of the time.

I am also looking forward to be able to get a 2 valve Monster 1100 at a sensible price, they are about twice the cost of an Aprilia Shiver used over here (DK) and the M1100 is such a great looking, clean bike with probably the best engine ever built by Ducati (one that doesn't blow up...). I don't race on the streets (only on trackdays) so I don't really need 150 hp to look good in front of the café :cool: and the M1100 is so easy and cheap to maintain.

br

Jim

10. Surely the point of the de-tune though is to move the torque curve exactly where they want it. Obviously if it was too much it would water the bike down too much, but 145HP with that sort of riding position I am sure will be brilliant!

I loved the Monster 696 so I would probably really love this to ride! I am still a sportsbike boy at heart though.

11. I quite like it, obviously it needs a few tweaks (cans and a tail tidy to bin the diavel plate holder) but it looks like a 'real world' fun bike.

Oh and the video was utter tripe...

12. Quite like the overall design but that engine has just got too much going on, look at all the bits of cowling, hoses and that exhaust is just hideous and what the hell is going on with those rear footrests. Probably nothing that a couple of grand won't put right, which is of course exactly what Ducati want you to do.

If I was to buy another naked bike I would seriously consider the new BMW, KTM ( but looks ugly ), Tuono or even a Speed Triple R and then I'd probably still buy another Monster :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. I dunno Roy, it's basically a 998S motor. Should be capable of 140 without too much hassle. And if it doesn't I can always put some 749R cams and valves in : )

14. It's the Diavel/Multibastard engine, basically an 1198 engine with reduced valve overlap to make it more street-able.

15. I think the S4RS is the best looking monster ever, Im not feeling any love for the new Monster

• Like Like x 1
  16. I like it better then the plastic tanked ones of the moment I'm not in love with the new monsters .

I love the old ones with proper trellis frame and proper big steel tank and minimal ..

But I do like Diavels !

• Like Like x 2
  17. I gotta say, tis really growing on my. Im always amazed how subltes touches can transforma bike.

Big megagallery here:

:cool:

ducati-monster-1200-e-1200-s-2014_14.jpg

ducati-monster-1200-e-1200-s-2014_15.jpg

ducati-monster-1200-e-1200-s-2014_14.jpg

ducati-monster-1200-e-1200-s-2014_15.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. The S4R is growing on me too (especially the Viper Blue one with white stripes :cool:). It has the grunty 996 engine with plenty of power, real gastank (I don't like that plastic tank with fly net inserts) and that beautiful onesided swingarm. As far as I know it also features decent quality suspension compared to the newer/cheaper "lets-milk-the-monster-brand" S2R models.

br

Jim

19. Can someone please tell me what the fascination with swingarms is all about? It's a lump of metal with a wheel bolted to it, ffs. The only company ever to make it look sexy was Honda, and with only one bike.

20. Its just a cock thing figgy. Mines bigger than yours, that sort of thing. But I think you knew that already :smile:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information