1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Helmet Day

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Vader, Dec 6, 2023.

1. First decent helmet I had was an AGV Jet open face. It had a pigskin lining and I was proud as punch with it - I'd pose in front of a mirror as I was not quite 16 years old so had to wait for a month to get on the family moped. It was white, no fancy paint jobs back in those days - 1962 that is.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I've used Arai helmets for decades. Love their quality and fit. For sure one saved my life during a track high side. Broke my two front teeth when I smashed face down. Don't remember a thing since I was knocked out and airlifted to the trauma center. I'm having another Corsair X custom painted and it should be done by the end of December. The Ducati one is a Corsair X and it's a great lid.

20230922_124258.jpg

DSCF9117-Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Pretty sure you still wear it occasionally Peter!

4. Back in the mid 90's I had an Arai 'Cadalora' and a Shoei 'Eddie Lawson' (still go the latter as a study ornament) These days, purely based on the fact I always wanted one in the 80's, I have a Simpson as whilst not as sharp looking as the original they do still look cool and goes well with riding a Hypermotard :)
    20211031_040134512_iOS.jpg
    20231112_030514884_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you find it impossible to throw away an old helmet?
    I've got several up in the loft and I don’t know what to do with them.
    They are like an old trusted friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. At home the attic was converted to a bedroom so there is very little storage space.

With a few exceptions, I test old helmets to destruction and take them apart. I have a Zulu knobkerrie (a medium length stick with a heavy rounded end !) First give the helmet a smack with that !! The Arai and AGV were not touched at all by that. I did not manage to destroy the outer shell of the Arai. The added on plastic bits, for the chin and top vents came out eventually but that was it I seem to remember breaking the chin bar eventually. Took all the insides out.

All very interesting. Wished I had kept that Shark as it was a nice looking helmet but it did not stand up to " testing"as well as the Arai, that's for sure !

upload_2023-12-12_8-4-30.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Some fire services use (or used to use:thinkingface:) old helmets for accident demonstration. Worth an ask at your local station.

8. Are you limited to stopping at coffee shops with blacks mugs and silver and grey furniture so it all matches?
    Looks very smart btw:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Haha :laughing:
    Just for you :) 20231018_024953796_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. It looks a lot brighter in Oz nadge! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Same

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. It would be usually at this time of year being summer time here but we’ve just had 4 days of thunderstorms - so torrential rain along with mega thunder and lightning ️⛈️⚡️

13. Think I have 7 helmets lying around, it's the male equivalent of shoes and handbags

• Like Like x 1
  14. I had a load of old helmets in the loft. I put an ad on Facebook marketplace and gave them away to a guy who runs a youth club and has some go karts.

(Still got 4 helmets left though!)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just learned I’ve got to wait until the new year for the helmet I bought at Motorcycle Live to arrive in the UK :( It’s probably on a ship queuing to use the Panama Canal. Andy

16. I have just got my first X-lite but still got my Shark GT Carbon too. Might let my son have that one now.!

s-l1600 (14).jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. What have you ordered then ? I am sure it will be worth the wait !

That looks nice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Also used to be happy to take scrap cars to practice making Trumpton cabriolets, don't know if it's still the case.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I've got 6 helmets and as many jackets, 3 pairs of boots and god knows how many pairs of gloves.
    There's some retail therapy at work here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Shoei Neotec 3 TC10 Grasp. Liked the original Neotec, thought the Neotec 2 was a step forward, especially with the integrated Sena mesh and looking forward to the claimed improvements in the 3rd generation. Andy

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information