1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Helmet Day

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Vader, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Sir couldn’t be tempted by a change of brand? Complete with integrated Sena mesh…

2. I’m a Shoei head, have been for many years. After I experienced helmet lift from an X-Spirit 2 riding my 1098R on track, I looked at 11 different full face helmets from leading manufacturers. I bought an X-Spirit 3 and learnt to reposition my head at high speed :joy: Tried a Neotech when I started observing for IAM Roadsmart and really like the helmet. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice looking helmet that. Not sure if that is the colour you have on order. Sun visor flippy ftont - nice.

I always reckoned to have an Arai head, as they seemed to fit me fine. But tried other helmets to see if they fitted me as well. No sizing or fit issues with AGV, Shoei, Shark, Arai - but the HJC RPHA11 ( in XL) was tight for its size and caused me some issues. Reviewers had mentioned this already at the time.

Reckon I will stick with Shoei for the time being - until the next "New Helmet Day" :D

upload_2023-12-15_7-44-6.png

• Like Like x 3
  4. A glimmer of hope, I might get it before Christmas day. Just been notified DPD are expecting my parcel from Helmet City :D Andy

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hoorah ! :D Andy
    20231223_095313.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Nice looking helmet that - and in time for Christmas - top effort by the postie-courier people.

Will you have to sit and watch TV for an hour whilst wearing it - still with all the labels on - to make sure it fits you OK ?

7. The helmet fits really well, almost as if it was made to measure. I will however have to pop up to HC Oxford after Christmas for them to walk me through installing the Sena SRL3. My visuospatial acuity used to be top notch but I’m 90 minutes in and it’s defeated me :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Any good to you

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. I’ve been wearing my new helmet around the house, much to Lady Vaders amusement!
    I thought it was a little too tight but it’s settled in nicely. I’ve worn it out on the bike today and really happy with it

• Like Like x 2
  10. The presenter skips over the one difficult part, getting the cheek pads relocated which he says, quote, ‘is a little bit fiddly’. Fiddly doesn’t cover the half of it :joy: but thank you just the same. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glad the helmet fits properly - I think Shoei makes a range of changeable inserts, but great if you don't have to faff about and its fits out of the box.

Sena SRL3- I might have to have a look at one of those .....

It is the only way to see if it fits properly - like scientificall :D

This is the McLaren ceramic stuff I have used recently on my lids and the bike. Noted there are issues with putting stuff on helmets.

I spray painted a lid in my youth, with a rattle can, and it fell off the bike onto the floor and split in half down the middle !! So I get that you have to be careful.

I just thought to mention it 'cause lots of people are coating their lids with ceramic coatings

Anyway, off to the butchers now to collect the turkey !

• Like Like x 1
  12. In my experience what are ultimately the best fitting helmets start that way. As long as there aren't active pressure points from the shell which are causing discomfort, that general sensation of having your cheeks smooshed is a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  13. With a relatively good night’s sleep (despite a few beers), I seem to have got my mojo back this morning. The SRL3 has been fitted and the cheek pads clipped back in place. For anyone else embarking on fitting the SRL3 into a Neotech 3 or GT Air 3, use the supplied Shoei visor tool to put a U shaped, vertical loop in the wiring for the integrated controls, to create space for the cheek pad, hard plastic edge. What a flippin’ fuss and palaver but I do like the finished article. Final test will be operating the buttons with gloved fingers, they are a fair bit smaller than the earlier SRL and SRL2. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  14. I actually wore this for the first time the other day and thought I should report back: do not buy one, the wind noise is diabolical.

15. That's the bit people don't get, try it on in the shop, wobble your head about to test the fit, but get out on the bike, different stuff, noise, visor action, vents, I had it with an AGV.
    Because I'd basically taken it for a test drive, they refused to take it back, in the end the retailer stood up for me and I got a full refund, you should be able to test them out.

16. Indeed. Sportsbikeshop, normally very good on returns to be fair, won't accept returns on a used helmet, for reasons I accept. They've offered to send it to HJC for 'inspection' but that's pointless; there's nothing wrong with the item, there's an issue with this model, as is now reflected in scores of online comments and reviews. E.g. a May 2024 of the i71 in MCN comments that 'of the four helmets I’ve used while riding the Tracer, the i71 is the loudest. There’s very minimal buffeting from the smooth shell shape and given the weight I’d assume plenty of lining and padding, so it’s hard to pinpoint the cause. All the noise is around the top of the head, even with vents closed with no wind or noise seemingly getting in from around the collar.'

I've complained to HJC's UK importer, Oxford Products, and just got told that they've sold thousands of them with no issue. I think a good company would accept a discretionary return in specific circumstances, or offer a discount on an alternative model, but of course the corporate norm is to do nothing until legally threatened. So I simply warn others against the wind noise of HJC models with the internal visor (there are lots of Reddit threads on this) and won't buy another.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information