1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with a Panigale itch....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by nick1972, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Yes I would :) his decision as an adult. Could say the same about poelpe who scour the earthe for rare race bikes to use them maybe once a year and spend probably more than a Pannini ;p

But cant argue with your second point...got one sat here ready to rock for 2 and a half ;) lol

2. this from a guy considering a Hardley as his next bike! And Italy is not exactly 'to the ends of the world'

:biggrin:

3. and, yes, it cost considerably more than a fucking grilled sandwich!

4. Fpsml yeah right...mind you I have the gut for it since I started hurting myself and stopped being able to excercise

5. :biggrin:

Hope the mending is progressing properly Paul. I'd be going mad very quickly. And my wife would have left weeks ago!

6. I survived a 900 bevel at 19, I would guess it was the Panigale of its day. Why should the OP be any different?. Only he knows if he has the sense to ride within his own limits.

7. It may be worth seeing if you can find someone to insure it before you get yourself too excited... and at what cost :eek:

8. We are all ruled by the great god insurance, but then perhaps if he can afford a Panigale he can afford the insurance.

9. i buried a mate of mine today, bet theres things he wished he did while he had the chance; so do u want the pani or not if the answers yes, then one way or another u ca afford the insurence. lifes too short. if u earn it spend it cos u cant take it with u and theres no point hording it for another day cos it may not come.
    Besides, the waiting list is long, if when I called up they said pick it up tomorrow I wouldnt of got it-having to wait a couple of months meant I could get it and keep my gixxer and insure them both. If like most people you look back at missed oppertunities and thought ` if only I knew then what I know now` ` if I could go back and do it all again` then just fucking do it, you wont regret it. DO IT..... U KNOW U WANT TO.....U OWE IT TO YOURSELF. BE ONE OF THE FIRST

10. I appreciate your comments, however "harsh" they may sound. Its good to know that you need 35 years experience before being able to ride a superbike, I'll have to check the average age of the WSBK/MotoGP grid again......

......Don't get me wrong, I'm no Cal Crutchlow in the making, but I don't have a death wish either.

End of the day, I like it, I can afford it & I have space in the garage.

As a previous poster said, "lifes too short'.

#30 nick1972, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  11. Bollocks to that, what was ur first car? was it the smallest lowest power and spec?? if u just passed ur test and wanted say a golf GTI would u be asking random people if u should get it? and if u got it would u rag the tits out of it 100 `/. of the time? Only u can make it go flat out, 125`s can break the speed limit and u can kill urself on a push bike. the fact u can afford it tells me u are capable of handling it. u could argue it can take more skill of riding on the road what with all the hazards there are. on a track traffic goes one way, plenty of run off, no street furniture and perfect tarmac; everything of which u do not get on the road. U could get any bike and poodle along at just under the speed limit, short shifting through the gears if u wanted but if thats how u ride then get a pedal and pop. Go have a look at it, read about it and have a test ride, ul know if its the right bike for u

#31 Goody, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  12. Looks like you replied as I was editing my reply......

• Like Like x 1
  13. Looks like you've made your choice. If you want it and you can afford it, then buy it and enjoy it :upyeah:

14. Choice based on looks alone, I have a test ride booked which will hopefully tell me more.

15. Fair play bud. I hope its all you imagine and it has you smiling when you have finished your test ride. Im the guy who after 18 months of riding went out and bought an MV F4 1000. That was based on looks. When I went to collect it I got passed by a f**king scooter on the way back lmfao. Hey but who gives a shit "all the gear no idea" Let us know how the test ride goes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. As it should be, the f'ing scooter boys thrash the pants of me around the roundabouts here, loaded with warm(ish) pizzas...:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Surely it was 'cos you were still running the MV in (cough,cough), otherwise you'd have done him. Number of years ago bought a Triumph Daytona super three. On the way home up the A10,had reached max recommended revs/speed for first 200 miles, got overtaken very slowly by kid on a Honda 125, flat on tank with feet on pillion pegs, must have been flat out doing about 3mph more than me. Could have gone a bit quicker on the Triumph, but was crying with laughter at the sight and thought I'd let him have his day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Love it!! That made me chuckle.

Reminds me of when I ventured down to the Nurburgring years ago in a nearly new M3 and was passed by a 50 seater tourist coach. Twice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Luv it.... He'll be down the youth club letting all his mates how he "smoked yr arse" :biggrin:

20. It's a tricky question and the answer is going to vary hugely depending on the rider in question.

I had a friend whose first bike was a Honda 900 Bol d'Or which he bought new in Germany and immediately rode to Italy where he was living. I don't think he knew how to ride a bike really before he picked it up. But then Martin is a little mad and I'd never recommend this course of action.

When I had my 851 which was the hottest poop Ducati of the time (and rare - not many people had Ducatis in those days, and even fewer had 851s) it took me a couple of years before I was red-lining it. But at least I never fell off it.

I think sure, get what you want. As you say, you are buying on looks alone and after 4'000 miles biking experience, you're not likely to test its performance and handling parameters, so it doesn't really matter if it is as good as the 1098 or 1198. It's probably more docile until the upper reaches of the rev band.

Having said all that, I just hope you don't have an accident on it. Personally, I think that accidents are an almost inevitable part of the biking learning curve. Only problem with a powerful bike is that they are likely to occur faster and and higher speed. There is a French advertising campaign on Eurosport at the moment reminding bikers that most fatal accidents happen in the country, on deserted roads, in good weather with no other vehicle involved. Strangely, that's what most of my accidents looked like - although, guess what - none of them were fatal.

The other downside to a status symbol fast bike is that you sort of feel a need to live up to it when riding it. You won't want to be blown into the weeds by a nutter on a CB500. And people come along and look at your rear tyre and chuckle.

My only piece of real advice is to go on the track (not necessarily with the Panigale, which I suspect would be a certain visit to the gravel trap). I think I learned more doing track courses than I did over years on the road. And I think it has made me a much safer and better road rider.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information