1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one track day in. and trying out for a ducati team !!,,,,tips please

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Terry_Tibbs, Oct 12, 2012.

1. A little ? A lot quicker you mean :upyeah:

2. And his double pike with twist is now worldclass. :tongue:

3. I think it's the twist that let me down...lol

be good to see what I can manage on a bike with power....my ability is all born from analysis, hard work and determination...not too much natural other than aggression ;h

but some have, so dissing some geezer (until proven to be dog slow on which case gloves are off pmsl) before he embarks is a little harsh :)

4. some grate feed back guys cheers, im going to go in to this with my eyes open,, always helps!

sounds like i may of been dreaming a bit, but i love bikes and was born to ride, so when this little opportunity came up i grabbed with both hands,

at the end of the day if i only come out of this with tips from pros and get to rub sholders with respected riders and LEARN,, im happy,

but i will be giving 110%,,,

il let you all know how it goes :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. I would try to give it 80%,85%,, 90% and perhaps 95% for a couple of laps... within 999S standards ( is far away from 1198, 1098R, Aprilia"s, BLades, ZX10, R1, 1199, BMW. Or even prepped 600 )
    and not of yourself but also of the 999S.... beyond 100% is extremely painfull on bones and wallet!

have a good look at the fastest guys leathers and gear:

Leathers: 90% are scruffed...
    bike gear: cheap plastics as fairing that they no longer bother to paint... , lights and all road equipment gone.. other sprocket sizes...
    80 % of the fast track bikes look like crap and carry plenty of war wounds...

Lesson: none of these fast guys have become fast without going down! not 1 of them...

so if you want to be fast: prepare mentally to write of your beautifulll bike and prepare for some time in hostpital...

and DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the security ABS and TC brings.... none of which the 999 has.... the edge is parhaps more controlable on a 200BHP bike then on your 130 bhp bike
    let this not restrain you from having fun... but the line between on the limit and over it makes an enormous amount of difference...
    I don't want to sound or be pussy, I track my modified 999R as well and at decent pace.. but have given up the notion of "being fast among the fastest" a long time ago...

Being smooth, now that's something to aim for... :)

grtz.

PS : the appearance of "red mist" makes it an almost certainty that you will go down... only question left : how big is the smackup going to be..

#25 kope999R, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  6. At least you can understand why I did sidecars instead of solos........Just sit there and do nothing (I'm a lazy b*****d).....

......but one of the main things I did do, was learn the circuits thoroughly.....

...I studied the plan form of each track and got in a few days testing (on a solo) at each track I knew we would be racing at..... (except IOM of course).....

AL.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Most of those fast riders with scuffed leathers will be racers imo, you dont have to prepare for a trip to A&E to be fast...you have to be smooth and ride no more than 85% and learn well.

Go race and thats different; crashing is part of the game so be fit, be young and slide well and keep it pinned! If not be fat, be old and bounce well be be prepared to ride with painkillers and injuries....adrenaline is a wonderful human tool ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. terry,

i guess the S in the pic is you...

not wanting to sound like your mother in law i do would like to point out something there surely will be other views:

At this lean angles i fear that you're already much closer to the edge then you might think...
    the lean seems to be induced by not hanging off enough, so there is room for improvement (upping the bike by hanging off more)

one more tip : twist of the wrist II dvd ... look at it 100 times... or go to some decent SBK school...

enjoy! Koen

• Like Like x 3
  9. One of the things that most impressed me after a few trackdays was that I could be reasonably fast on the right line, but I had (and still have) no idea how racers improvise a line to overtake people. That seems like a real skill. You get used to your braking point, peel in point and then suddenly you're supposed to do someone on the brakes, take less than a perfect line and still keep it upright without nurfing off the guy you have just passed.

On a trackday, keeping it upright and yourself out of hospital earns big points. You suspect that in a race, you get a lot fewer points for this, and a lot more for your willingness to risk injury and expense by getting it all wrong, if that's what it takes to move through the grid.

So really, sooner you than me.

I assume that breaking bits of yourself and draining your bank account comes with the territory. But hey, don't let me put you off. Plenty of people are comfortable with that - it's just that I'm not one of them.

10. I agree with all you say Glidd. What does seem strange asking direct questions of the OP, he never answer straight. I am getting thie feeling he's either full of BS or very niave. A dealer asks if he fancy coming on atrackday and he thinks he's trying out for a ride next. Now if I am wrong, good luck on the guy. The dealer may think he is a talent for the future worth putting thousands of pounds under his arse for a try out on a trackday. :eek:

Ps, dont forget to read the small print. Any damage you cause you pay for. Thats why I have declined bimbles around a track of a pukka 955sp, an ex scott russel 996rs and a ex WSB 888.

11. in my experience racing and trackdays have little in common bar everyone going same way ,well mostly !!!
    respect to geezer who does it cos many talk about it but never doit, have fun,enjoy and get the overtime money in cos ya gonna need it
    and take it easy for first couple of meets,dont be an idiot like me and crash twice in first weekend trying too hard-nuthin wrong with acting as tailgunner for first few meets cos YOU ARE OUTHERE doing it when others just talk the talk
    trackdays r getting much much faster these days but racing is racing
    you are gonna get a massive shock !!!! lol-have fun

• Like Like x 3

12. that sounds like a tatto my dad should get!! brilliant :upyeah:

13. its not a dealer, this is a guy who builds bikes for a living and does a bloody good job at it, and has a small private team, i dont know what league there in, i find out more on the 17th, im going to ride with the guy to get pointers on my riding,, and IF,.... i have something he can use then it may go further,, i posted this because he uses ducatis and im using one, and i wanted feed back from people with experience. plus my its my own BIKE!! that iv worked for!! iv funded at all my self!

14. So your going on a trackday with a bloke who has a builds ducatis. Enjoy. All is very clear now.

#34 Cranker V2, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  15. I shall as long as this weather sorts its self out. Btw the guy with a few ducs. Far as I can tell only met him once mind, quite a well respected racer. But I'm not counting my chickens so il leave it at that for now. :)

16. Who is it?

17. Nog or Ghost maybe?

Or are they living a secret life in the Caribbean?

AL

18. Nog is in Prison I think!

Could be Richard from Lougi Moto

19. First time i got on a track was the ring and it re wrote my opinion of myself. like most, I thought I was fast, and on the road I am but on track....nah. On track you can do more with the bike than you ever can on road and it shows you just how much more the bike can do. Id say just take your time and think practice makes perfect. entry speed,breaking points, gear selection, throttle control and position are the key to going faster. Keep an open mind that you are not as fast as you think you are and apply yourself and ul soon be mixing it with the rest. But then im no expert nor a track day hero. Enjoy it :smile:

20. Why? They don't postpone racing because it rains or is a bit windy!
    If you're going racing in Britain then you will encounter wet racing at some point, guaranteed.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information