Panigale 899. WARNING. Throttle sticking!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Hmmm, can't agree with that.

I've heard numerous tales of good old fashioned throttle cables getting jammed resulting in an unhappy ending.

Electronics in and of itself is no more or less dangerous that any other technology.

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  2. what on earth were you thinking taking a Ducati out on Wet Slimey roads!

they are obviously not designed for that!

3. We manufacture packaging machinery, different product obviously. But a lot of software is controlling our machinery, all sensors etc are programmed / designed to fails safe.

So in the event of a failure the machine will come to a controlled stop. Surely you would think this to be the case with bikes or cars, but perhaps its not.

Thinking back to Pedrosa having the traction control cable broken by Marquez last year it threw him off the bike.

Makes you think.

Electronics and software is perfectly safe as long as certain things are taken into consideration during the design, we spend a lot of time and expense on this.

#23 JohnR, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I agree...a lot to be said for old skool workings of a bike. Nowadays, we're plugging them in.

5. I also agree, for something that is rider/input critical there are way too many variables, potential timebomb imho, wouldn't touch with the proverbial pole.

6. The RBW system has 2 twistgrip position sensors and 2 throttle position sensors so that there is a back up if one fails but what seems to have happened here is that the ECU has been affected by an external fault causing it to send the wrong signals to the throttle valve motor.

7. And is that not the point, the throttle is opened by the ECU! Very rare IMO that a push pull throttle would stick!

However many fail safes you put into FBW systems at the end of it all the ECU opens the throttle, let's just say high power RF or whatever could trigger the ECU in a big enough way the throttle could be opened by the ECU, in short you are not in control of the throttle bodies, at least with cables you can manually shut the butterfly's and close off air to the system unlike RBW, FBW or whatever you like to call it.

oh and it feels shit or not connected at the hand, coz it's not.

#27 Andyd, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Its witchcraft I tell you...

• Like Like x 2
  9. bikes are getting to technical if danny pedrosas throttle can stick open weve got no chance of being fail safe

10. There isn't a gear indicator and it isn't fly by wire on the 848. Sorry, headed a little off topic. I just saw finm mention his 848 having issues with the throttle sticking, I looked around just after mine did it to see if it was a known fault but couldn't find anything. Like I said only did it once and eventually I put it down to a one off glitch.

Traded it in last August for an 1199, which has so far been trouble free thankfully. Hope you guys get that problem sorted

11. Unless they're Italian.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Perhaps that's the problem as most Ducatis don't have Italian electronics it's pretty much Japanese now

13. Has this happened to all 899 and 1199's? No? Lets have some perspective then.

14. as deric says, 2 sensors on throttle body and 2 on twist grip, on cars if recall correctly one track will go from high to low Resistance the other from low to high resistance, same for throttle body, few years back when i was with a fiat dealership i had a similar fault on a stillo, never got to the bottom of it, according to fiat technical it couldn't happen as the pedal and throtle body would go out of synk, log an error and go in to limp mode. i still work on the car now 8years later not and never happened again.

15. how pish would it be if bike went in to limp mode mid corner? do bikes go in to limp mode?

16. Oh well that's it then.............I'm never getting on a plane again and I'm gunna take my bike back for a full refund :)

17. i don't blame you, flying's for mugs.

18. Being on in excess of 150 bhp that won't stop when you tell it to is pretty frightening and liable to kill you. That seems a fair perspective. Who wants to pay top $ to play Russian roulette? "Your Panigale will probably be fine and a great joy but a couple of them have been known to have throttles that stick open. Still, chances are it won't happen to you so you needn't worry."

If you look at all the flights yearly which take off and land without mishap, your chances of dying in a plane crash are tiny. Here you have two Panigale owners on this forum who have encountered the same problem. How many owners are on here, 50? So that would be 4% of bikes affected. That is a problem.

#38 gliddofglood, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. Ducati UK sold 128 Panigale 899's in December 2013. I'm guessing a lot aren't being ridden much at the mo.

20. Pull the clutch in.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information