1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale 899. WARNING. Throttle sticking!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. its the shock factor, takes a second or two to work out whats going on, freekd me out when it happened, lost all confidence for the rest of the run,

2. Pull the clutch in and you'll run wide, throttle stuck open and you'll run wide, looks like you've no choice in the matter!

My car is fly by wire, if I leave it in full auto mode, as you brake it gives a little blip of the throttle on each downchange to make it smooth.

In a car you would just brake harder and let the electronics sort it out, on a bike, chances are you'll crash. If you're not about to tell the story, it'll likely be put down to rider error :frown: I'm keen on a Pani, but I'll see how this pans out.

I'd agree that most are tucked up in a garage, so two on this forum alone is concerning.

3. On the subject of cables being safer, my first ever 'bike', a Yamaha FS1E. Blatting down a hill, relatively speaking, closed the throttle, engine kept going. The nipple on the end of the throttle cable had pushed out of the throttle slide retention slot and then moved over, holding the throttle open. Scary experience even on a 50 in a straight line.

4. Riders of Fizzys are [were] young enough to bounce, so there was never any danger of injury.

5. even if they were wearing DMs, jeans and a paddock jacket.

6. 150 hp my arse……...

7. Hi everyone, I wanted to add my own 2p worth on this.

Firstly, let's not play down the seriousness of the issue. Apart from the helluva fright you would get (I had a Kawasaki throttle stick on me a few years back and it was new underwear time), we're all well aware of the potential for this to go pear shaped so i'm just glad no one was hurt.

Secondly I think we need to try and get a handle on the potential fault and also how widespread it could be.

Sitting in my office at my PC is not exactly the best place to diagnose a problem but on the face of it I would suggest the issue is not a sticking throttle (due to the many fail-safes as highlighted by Derek above) but more to do with the the ECU being given a faulty signal by the gear position sensor and the EBC applying some throttle. Bear in mind this is a total guess. The difference between RbW failing and a much more simple sensor is pretty vast but however seems to have resulted in a similarly scary experience.

The reason i'm almost completely convinced it's not the RbW at fault here is the fact we've sold over 100 1199's and 15 899's so far and we've never come across this issue. (Of course I accept that doesn't mean there isn't a first time etc) Both bikes use a virtually identical Mikuni system that has been tested to destruction and in use on production motorcycles since (from memory) 2007. It's a seriously robust system that rarely fails. Off hand I can't remember ever hearing of one sticking open, the worst I think we've seen is one acting sluggishly and not on a Panigale I might add. (I would need to check the facts here).

Anyone with a Panigale doesn't need to rush out and switch off the EBC either. I've done thousands of road / track miles on both my S and my R and use the EBC every time I ride. IMHO It's a brilliant system that really works, I use a higher setting than factory recommendations in most track circumstances although it does take a little getting used to.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the actual problem was and I hope it's a simple / quick fix but to all our you folks that have bought a new RbW model Ducati since 2010, try not to worry as i'm supremely confident your RbW is going to be 100% but if you have a doubt at all. Don't ride your bike and get it to your dealer for an inspection.

Hope this helps.
    Mart:smile:

• Like Like x 9
  8. you applying for another job at the Sun?! Sensationalist nonsense ;)

9. Fair play to Martin in DG for coming on and sharing their tuppence worth...

Best to get it checked by authorised dealer. But its something id be getting sorted sooner rather than later. Not sure how you'd check a fault like that if it was indeed a faulty gear position sensor.

Good point made, that a lot of the bikes were literally just sold and weather has been rubbish. Ppl aint clocked up to many ,iles and are still running in. It would be prudent to get in touch with owners imo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maybe someone could tank mount a GoPro and see if they can record the dash when it happens, providing they don't incriminate themselves! might just help to be able to go back and see what happened. Also were you using the DDA, I just wonder if the DDA shows the same correlation of speeds that don't match the gear your in etc.

I imagine if it does show throttle percentage and speed you should see both stay on, or maybe the ECU did record the throttle being shut although the DDA presumably just piggy backs the channels that this stuff is happening on.

Sorry.. maybe a stupid idea but worth a look, we have access to more data on these bikes than any other manufacturer out there.

11. Probably safest thing you could do. It will never happen when you record it :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1

12. It is a good idea but the problem is down to the fact, you never know when and if it will happen. Thats the worst thing about sporadic electrical gremlins.

Anyone else know if the ECU would record such data or if it is available on the bike? Surely it has to record data in order for the traction control, rev limiter etc to work...

13. Must drive fault code??

14. Thanks to Martin of DG for taking the time to submitt the post of which has hopefully put some minds at rest!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Great guy to talk to, wish I'd bought from DG now. Bit too far from Bristol.

16. Hear hear. I spoke to him a couple of years ago as I was tempted to purchase a highly spec'd 848, incredibly knowledgable. I wish they were closer to me I'd be using them. Only purchased from two Ducati Dealers Ducati Aylesbury of which I have little experience- 1st purchase 899 Pan. The other in the midlands area, not great, owner rather arrogant, staff are very good though!!

17. Ha ha, he said tuppence.

• Like Like x 1

18. ok...im obviously missing something ? A penny for your thoughts...(get it?) :biggrin::biggrin:

19. Throttle sticking update.
    Got my bike back after 5 days at Riders in Bristol.

Not suprisingly no error codes were showing on the diagnostic check. Dealer and Ducati are seemingly suggesting the problem might have something to do with the fact that I've fitted a 55 profile rear tire.

However the advice from Ducati was to check the gear indicator sensor, all seemed ok but as a precaution it has been changed.
    Bike has been road tested by the dealer and I managed 20 miles tonight with no issues. Fixed?
    Who knows?

I would suggest that if anybody ever sees an incorrect gear indicator reading they stop the bike , turn it off then restart. Then take it to a dealer for a check over.

Both myself and the guy on the 1199 had the same error on the dash when the throttle stuck. Both bikes showed first gear when they were in top.

20. wtf, they're seriously suggesting that because the rear tyre has a different profile, the ECU gives up and jams the throttle open?

Idiots.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information