1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale 899. WARNING. Throttle sticking!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Well he's doing my shock on Tuesday. I'll try and remember to ask him.
    You turned your EBC back on now?

2. Can't figure out how to :/ expect a spirited test ride, he said it's the best bike he has ever riden!

3. go into your settings its under ebc o/1/2/3/ set memory im thick and I think its easy,, btw he turned mine off as well but its back on 1 now got out yesterday the bike felt proper good

4. Mine is still being rebuilt...... can't update further until I get it back (broken since December 15th......)

5. why what was the problem mtb ?

6. Did he say why I won't ride with it on? Is he testing it on track? I guess not so I don't see why unless it's to test the front end with hard braking.

7. he said ceric its an electronic intervention that's not moto gp standards and can find it interveining when it kicks in possibly mid corner and upset the bike mid turn ,

8. Jimmy, is yours an 899? As the menu system is different to its big brother.

9. ahh no mate its the 1199 thought they were the same

10. So is this just a fault with a few bikes or potentially all of them and are faults like this just part of the experience?

I've only ever had Japanese bikes, I really want to own a ducati but not as a second bike.

11. So if you turn the ebc off is it okay? Did mv have their same issue with their 675 Sportsbike?

12. No, as I said it appears to be the gear indicator fault causing the bike to think its going too fast for a given gear and holding the throttle open. Turning the EBC off might help but it's not the cause.

13. Hi, Just to let you know that I have a 2013 Multistrada with less than 5000 miles up and its developed the same gear sensor and surging throttle problem, first trip to the dealer (Cumbria) and they traced a recorded gear sensor fault on the ecu but this cleared and yes no fault found! rode it home and after 40 miles developed the same fault.

They have ordered a new part, but this seems to be more than a one off, they told me they had never heard of any issues before, can be a little alarming when the throttle kicks in on its own!!

Darse

#93 Darse, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  14. Chaps,

To update, finally got my bike back, and I have to say it is running well now, with my earlier issues seemingly resolved. However, the answer to this particular issue was never found/disclosed. I can only put it down to the gear position sensor failure as the common factor, yet no-one seems to know if this is the actual fault. What is clear now is that a number of owners have suffered from this, but with Ducati presumably not wanting to "join the dots" on how many. However, it doesn't actually sound like many in total. But, when it happens, it is tantamount to having a mechanical throttle body sticking open moment, which isn't funny.

I for one will not ride it again with a gear position error of any kind showing. The other issues I had with this bike were now fixed, but this source remains unknown. I think that the tyre comments that were made (different diameter etc) may also help confuse the ECU, but it really shouldn't be so severe as to cause this. It causes the DTC to kick in prematurely, detecting the wrong circumference, but not massively more so than the tyre wearing down in normal use! And there is no adjustable slip map for that on this bike, so tyre diameter changes that are within tolerance aren't the cause. So my presumption is that it is something to do with the gear position sensor failing.

On the other hand, having finally got my bike back, although I am only running it in gently, it is clear that all the earlier electrical and mechanical gremlins I have suffered with have been resolved, the bike is fantastic. It is the bike I wish I had enjoyed since the beginning, but trying to move on and ignore that to some degree.

But I will keep an eye on that gear sensor error, and if it recurs, I will have it straight back in pronto......

Interesting to see a Multi now reporting the issue. I had only seen in before on another 1199 and the 899 in this thread, other than mine (an 1199s).

15. I've now put 700 miles on mine since the 'incident' not a hint of a problem. Almost becoming complacent but as you say and sign of the gear indicator miss displaying and I'll be dropping the bike like a stone. Just hope it doesn't play up again on a track flying into a corner.
    As a point of interest, talking to a guy in Bristol today at Italia Day who has just bought an 899 he was oblivious of the problem. Highlights the point that not everybody is on these forums so could the issue be under reported ? Just a thought.

16. Hey guys, greetings from San Jose, Ca! After receiving my bike back after an engine replacement, recently the throttle has been sticking. So far it has happened 4-5 times and the behavior has been consistent. The first ride in the morning, as soon as I shift into 3rd and then let off the throttle, the bike keeps accelerating. It freaked me out.. Is it the gear shifter? I came across this thread, I don't have an issue with the indicator but the throttle does stick consistently now once in the morning..

18. It all seems a bit suspect....it needs to be addressed if not already.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information