1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale tyres

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Rockmeister, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Just found out that Bridgestone do a 200/55/17 zr for the panigale will give them a try

2. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340655570.977732.jpg

Now that will dry the rain!!

I must admit went for a quick ride the other day and I could hardly touch the tire on my return.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340655570.977732.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. We run 190 slicks on the BSB Panigales.....and dont have ANY traction control !

4. Just spoke with Mannie at Pirelli Moto UK and have been told that they are in the process of producing a ROSSA CORSA for the Panigale so that should sort the problem. Also in the owners manual pages 43/44 it states that the Panigale is set to use a Pirelli rain tyre of 190/55/17 with the traction control set at 7.Cheers Guys and Gals

5. What's all this traction control people keep speaking of? !

6. It's some electronic wizardry that these days replaces the bum/right hand/brain interface :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. At gotcha. Thought it may be a control pad for when it goes wrong and they are stretching back in place on yer back in bed....

• Like Like x 1
  8. For the record I've fitted Michelin Pilot Road 2 s to my 1199. I wanted something that gave me a bit more confidence in the damp conditions and which would get me to WDW and back without worrying about tyre/wear. Àll the tyre manufacturers say that sports touring tyres are more suitable for riding in mixed conditions on the road, and occasional track day use than sports tyres.I fitted 190 55 17 s to my bike. They have been fine in over 3000 miles in all conditions and all types of roads from autobahns to single track alpine passes with very tight hairpins. As Nelly said I turned down the DTC sensitivity and the bike rode very well..Oh, and yes the 1199 is definitely a real world bike!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Douglas your the man glad to hear that you had a great time at WDW and great news that the 190/55/17 worked without a hitch. I've spoken with Pirelli and theY are in the process on producing a rosso corsa 200/55/17 but it's still awhile away. Im going for a set of Diablo Rosso corsa,s 190/55/17 and will see how they are was out on my 1199s tonight in wet weather and have to say the oe tyres were a disaster:-(. If anybody knows or hears more please let us know thanks for all the help

10. only my 2 cents but I hate Pirelli's in the wet, found they let go far too easy.
    I stick with the pilot tyres now, far better wet tyre IMHO.

11. Thanks Phantom but as you know with tyres it's a head think and they work for me just needed to confirm that the 190,s would work on the 1199 think they will

12. should take it up to the ulster for a few laps an put the
    traction control to work, few corners up there that would
    def test it lol.

13. Sounds like a plan just at daybreak :)

14. well if we get good weather and you do take a spin out let me know an i'll
    come out to play too, an I can bring the cam

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lovely shot Phantom sounds like a plan

• Like Like x 1
  16. do you mind me using another bike to tag along
    now lol. on a blade now

#36 phantom, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. I had a yzf750sp that was a180 rear but I slapped a 170 on and it sped up the turning no end, pretty sweet actually. should do the same for any bike any size as it takes less time to get the bike over from edge to edge. You can alter or turn off the traction control. Its nice having the aid but my right hand is where I always put my faith in

18. Dunlop do the 'sportsmart' in the 200 , but apparently Dunlop have not tested it on the pani yet so my supplier wouldn't fit it ??

19. My opinion is that the o.e supercorsas are useless for road riding as ive found them to be very bad in drizzly conditions (can easily lose grip on wet roads as i found out), They are great on dry roads but how many times do we leave home in sunshine then 100 miles later it starts pissing down. just fitted metzeler sportec m5 interacts 190/55 +120/70, will be doing around 200 miles this saturday whatever the weather,will also be doing donington on 31st july on them . theres a good utube review on these at portimao on a bmw s1000rr in the wet so they can handle the power ok,
    will post my findings

#39 coop, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  20. I managed to puncture my Panigale rear tyre on the second day I had the bike - which was a sufficiently big piece of metal which went through it that it cut the threads and the tyre was ruined. One day I got out of the OEM tyre!

I happened to have a set of Dunlop GP211 tyres in a 200/55/17 120/70/17 that I had taken off the Desmo (to fit slicks), so I whacked those on the Panigale instead as it is supposed to be run on a 200 section rear (as is the Desmo).

The TC unit is confused. It lights up and thinks it should work when just riding moderately. It does this even on settings as low as 4 on the DTC - simply as the tyre profile is different. There is no way to change this. It is the same as the guys who all ran 1098R's which had traction control only suitable for one tyre. You had to turn the DTC down to level 1 to get it to calm down on track with a non OEM tyre.

There are no separately alterable slip maps for different tyres (yet?) - so if you change tyre, the TC unit will be confused. I have not yet had my rear tyre spin up on me badly, so it is still working fine, just not as well as it would with the correct tyre map. It is a shame that they don't allow you to alter this, as they do with the aftermarket TC systems like the Competition Systems one (Nemesis TC) which I have fitted to the Desmo and you can upload any tyre map you like to that, from race slicks to road tyres. They have about 100 tyres mapped as options for you to chose, including nice ones like NTec slicks in a 195/65/17 (yummy!).

But in the real world, it isn't going to be a huge difference on the road, and I wasn't a fan of the Pirelli tyres on my 848 and wasn't overly impressed on day 1 with the Panigale, so am happy on the Dunlops now. I might try a 190 section next time to see the difference. Bearing in mind that most tyre manufacturers stated sizes (200 versus 190 etc) all vary so much that one tyre listed as a 190 can be as wide as 196mm when you measure it, and others listing a 200 (Bridgestone BT01) can be as little as 194mm.

Profile makes the bigger difference, how "steep" the tyre profile is rather than the width. Just whack a set of real race slicks on in the same section width to feel the difference! The bike will turn in lightening fast by comparison..... I have never been able to get a rear tyre for the Desmo that was the same "steep" section as the original OEM one (which only worked on a 16"rim, so that was not a long term option), but the bike ran best on that tyre. The Pirellis are a steeper section than the Dunlops when you look at the profile once mounted on the bike, so it will calm down the steering a little making the switch. The Panigale is lively enough, I prefer the Dunlops.

Best,

ChamMTB

#40 ChamMTB, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
Do Not Sell My Personal Information