1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poorly 748

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by rdw748, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Do the easiest, cheapest one first, its the most accessible to get and its only a 10 minute job..... scrupulously clean the filler cap, taking care to restore the breather to pristine condition - this is the most likely culprit too for all the symptoms you've described. If it's partially blocked, the pump sucking against a closed vent will create enough vacuum to stop the fuel. The 10 to 15 mijnutes you mention is enough time for pressures to equalise and off you go again.

You can check this super-easily; run/ride the bike till it cuts out, open, or try to open the cap, if it doesn't open, it will be the vacuum holding it closed. If it does open, try and start the bike with the cap open, it should start immediately, with no 10-15 minute wait.

2. Borgo P - Thanks for that. It was suggested I check the tank breather a while back by Crystal John. I have re-stripped the tank and checked hoses and filter again and to be honest the inside of the filler cap was full of gunge as was the vent, so you could be right. As the bike is dismantled at the min, it will be a while before I can confirm.. but watch this space.

3. RDW the easiest way to check the tank vent is to open the cap just after the engine stops or do it whilst the engine is running and spluttering. If it is sucking you can hear it and the misfire immediately clears as air is allowed in.

4. i had similar problems years ago on my 916...it eventually turned out to be a faulty injector (twin injector P8 ECU)..it was a bugger to find as it was intermittment, but presented very similar problems to yours...its worth getting it on a dyno..for the sake of a bit of dyno time it may well save you a lot of money in unnecessary parts.
    Youve probably done this already, but id suggest going round the entire loom with a fine tooth comb and check all connections for cracks, corrosion, water, verdi gris..and check all the wiring...something may be cracked, or a wire could be rubbing on the frame/engine and shorting out....
    some electrical problems could be heat related as things warm up and expand, also vibration can set things off....im not tecchie, but id deffo get it on a dyno..

5. Thanks guys,I'm still looking, checking and cleaning away. It must be electrical as it cuts out dead, no spluttering or warning, nothing.

6. Hi mate, seems like you have tried all available options. Why don't you save yourself the pain and give Alec a call
    Ducati Pro Team
    Cheap collection service and even cheaper servicing. I trust this guy impeccably and I'm sure other forum members will agree.

Eitherway it's an option :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information