1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Price Jump From A 1260 To A V4....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Interesting thread. Been looking at Pikes Peak v4 and decided it is too big, long and heavy. 1260PP looks to be 10kg lighter and has the fantastic v twin.
    As a GS rider (currently, had allsorts inc Multi 1200, 1290 gt) I was very interested in the 1300gs, dont knock the GS without a real extended ride btw. Immense torque, far from slow and really planted on bumpy roads.
    But…I miss the hooligan element, wheelies off crests in the road. Just the sort of mis-chief the v twin delivers imo.
    Manufacturers seem to deliberately avoid offering a top class mid to large adv style tourer. Think tuned 950 PP with 17” wheel, v4 Pikes Peak on a serious size and weight diet would fit. Most people only ever ride one up. I dont understand the size or tech. (Radar ffs, maybe good in use but I would rather have the money thrown at better quality suspension components!)

For those wanting a sporty upright but also wanting a decent fuel range, maybe touring(ish) comfort and quality suspension and circa 130-150bhp, those bikes seem to have disappeared.
    The 1200 Multi engine seemed to be an absolute sweet spot for a road bike.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. As much as I enjoy the 1260 Pikes Peak, it still looks like an ADV bike. It's tall and heavy and the front end pushes a lot of air.
    IMO, there's definitely a hole in Ducati's line-up. Too many special editions of the same model.
    A real sport touring bike (aka a bigger Supersport) is needed as well as an off-road focused enduro twin with shaft drive that competes with BMW's GS line should be considered. Ducati already has a good mid-size twin engine as a starting platform. It may be a tough sell however.

PS. As a completely off-thread comment: If I had a rant about Ducati's twin cylinder engine is the timing belt. I just had it replaced on the Monster and the Multi is due for replacement as well. I would prefer a chain in lieu of a consumable belt.

#82 DarR, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  3. I think the V4 Multi actually has a shorter wheelbase than the 1200/1260.

The biggest issue for me on the V4 is the distance from seat to bars which is a bigger stretch than the 1200 making it feel like a longer bike.

4. v4 Multistrada
    Dry Weight
    215 kg
    Wheelbase 1567 mm
    Fuel Capacity 22 Liters
    Kerb Weight 240 Kg

BMW R 1250 GS
    Seat height 850 - 870 mm
    Length 2207 mm
    Wheelbase 1514 mm
    249kg wet.

Some surprising figures.

5. Multistrada 1260 wheelbase is 1585mm.

6. Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak wheelbase is 1591mm and 239kg kerb weight and yes, it feels its weight and wheelbase. Andy

7. Same boat 1260s paid 15k private 18mth ago, looking at a same I guess 9k pikes peak 26k or Rs 31k waiting for a bereavement then I'll keep the 1260s for winter

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Measured mine at 1580mm with 42 rear sprocket stock chain and hub wound in

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information