1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protective kit - when is it too much?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by figaro, Aug 11, 2012.

1. With Freak on this, tumbling fecks you up, sliding less so, but doesnt matter on the road as the street furniture is likely to break something way before you wear thru jeans

Look what cyclists wear; flimsy helmet and lycra yet do more speed than a scooter or most bikes around town can. And motorcross, hardly thick materiels...

For me its extremities; hands feet head elbows. So boots some kind, gloves, helmet and jacket. Think I've said that already....

2. At the end of the day it's insurance.

You might not fall off, your bike might not be nicked, your house might not burn down or get flooded. You might not have a crash and injure someone. There's no guarantee any of these scenarios will happen. Statistically they probably won't. But they do happen every day. The wise man covers himself for these not uncommon eventualities.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't get the heat issue TBH - controlling body temp is a lot more about choosing an appropriate suit and underwear. A heavily perforated suit with a well fitted undersuit will be comfortable as soon as you are moving in 30 degree heat. Problem is the same suit will absolutely freeze you below 10 degrees C, as with everything the fit is absolutely critical too. If the suit is too tight you will get hot, too loose and it will get grabby bunched and uncomfortable. Snug is correct for a suit. With the variation in weather we get in the UK you really need two suits - one perforated for summer, and one non perforated for spring and autumn (its also a good idea for this suit to be brighter coloured if you ride on dull days). Given how cheap suits are now its really not a problem. One piece suits are considerably more comfortable - especially in warm weather as there is no waste band to concentrate heat or sweat.

#63 philoldsmobile, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. and neither should you, you can buy a decent one piece brand name suit for £300.

5. I won't buy a one-piece suit because of the lack of versatility; I like to ride quickly and stop often, rather than sit on the bike for ages at a slower pace, so a 1-piece would cause me problems at stops. Being a fat kid I overheat quickly. But I'll take your comment about comfort on board because it's an important issue for me. What I'm comfortable in (i.e. jacket and jeans) obviously makes other people uncomfortable. As I've said, if I get stopped it's the first thing the cops mention, and at bike meets other bikers like to proffer their advice upon me, even though I wouldn't dare to do the same to them.

I guess that's the issue for me, being told to do things when I'm old enough and ugly enough to look after myself. I'm the same on building sites; I hate having to wear a hi-viz just cos some people are stupid enough to not look after themselves.

6. Would you wear a pair of these?
    Looks like a good compromise.

7. Yep, I've got a couple of pairs are kevlar jeans. Shame those are sold out, that's a damn good price.

8. You could wear a thong and flip flops, it makes no difference to anyone else but yourself! :eek:

I just don't think I'd be able to ride in jeans, I'd be pooping myself all the time in case I fell off. I like to feel protected and that makes me feel comfortable :upyeah:

9. Started my "big" bike riding in a two piece, but, quickly dumped the trousers for a pair of combats. Spent many years in Timberlands, combats and a decent leather bike jacket. Always wear good helmet and gloves.

Even though I felt comfy on the bike, and never vulnerable, I also knew it was not an ideal kit to be wearing. Nothing to do with the many accidents I'd seen my sister and mates have, and heard of, or the grief from police and other bikers ...... It was just a feeling that I should be in full leathers.

I will go to the petrol station, and mot garage in jeans. Both are within a mile of home. Any further and I now wear full leathers, always with good boots, gloves and helmet.

So, back to original post, the full kit on a scooter may look odd, but, their choice, and it seems a safe choice.

10. Wouldn't be the first time...

11. What you choose to belive is up to you.

I had a Leather Jacket and Leather Jeans before I passed my test, I had a Dainese two-piece within 2 years, and Always wear full leathers back protector boots helmet gloves - no exceptions - not a road-test on my XL185 down a Very quiet country lane or a day blasting down the Tarn Gorge in 30+ degrees, a bit of physical discomfort during the ride followed by having a drink and a shower afterwards will always be preferable to physical damage - been there done that during 27 years and 300,000+ miles of riding, my kit has helped through a Head-on with a ZZR1100, a rear end shunt from a Range Rover etc. etc.

The nearest shop is several miles away, so I have never been tempted just to pop half a mile to Tescos in the clothes I happened to be wearing and if you feel confident and safe in doing so that is up to you too.

12. Agreed, agreed and double agreed (no 3 really makes my blood boil)

13. Just to look at this from a slightly different viewpoint.
    I remember many years back reading that drivers with ABS were actually more likely to have accidents than those without as they overestimated what a car with ABS would let you get away with. I cant speak for anyone else but sometimes when I wear leathers I feel almost indestructable which obviously I`m not. On the odd day when I just wear kevlar jeans I`m much more careful. Doesnt mean I wont fall off/get hit but maybe less likely.If I rode in flip flops and shorts I doubt I`d go above cycling speed. Do the rest of you adjust your riding speed and style depending on how protective your gear is?
    If you extend that way of thinking back to cars to make drivers feel as vulnerable as we do then maybe they would be more careful. No 2 ton 4wd`s etc and how about replacing the steering wheel airbag with a spike? That might help them concentrate and reduce the SMIDSY rate?

14. Yes. But it's a sports bike, so I wear sportsbike attire. No point having a 999 if you're just going to pootle about at cycling speeds.

Don't be silly.

15. Most of the riders I have seen without any protective clothing eg semi naked female pillions, guys shorts and tshirts
    And jeans trainers are never going slow they weave in and out at traffic and up Belmont road at alarming speeds
    I cringe but not my skin I do all I can to protect mine.
    At the weekend we saw an older couple say late 50's all dressed in leather apart from pillion she had leather then pink socks and flimsy shoes wt!!!! :-O

16. The comment about the spike was tongue in cheek but I cant see a problem with making road users feel more vulnerable if it makes them more aware of what is going on around them.

17. I know. I was just messing you about.

18. And when flying abroad on holiday?

I'm off on family hols to Mallorca on Saturday and plan to hire a bike or two when I'm out there - KLX 250 or 650 VStrom - and I've obviously got to decide what to wear. The temperature will likely be HOT - 25+ F / 80+ C - and obviously I can't take a lot of gear with me. Helmet is provided in the hire cost (or I'll even buy one if necessary) but the other stuff isn't. At the moment I'm thinking of taking my Hein Gericke off-road-style ankle boots, gloves and maybe my knee and elbow armour to wear under my O'Neal motocross gear if my luggage allowance will permit. The alternative seems to be what most people do I guess

#78 Dave, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  19. I wish you'd tell that to all the other sportsbike owners, they keep getting in my way:frown:

20. If im off for a good ride I love getting into my leathers and boots, if its a journey then maybe just a jacket perhaps boots. if its a - b here and there then what ever im wearing at the time. im even one of those who if its redders and i just have to nip out then yep il go in shorts and t shirt. Lid goes without saying. im happy in trainers but if flip flops were more secure and had a roof over the toes to shift up, hell i might even go in them.
    As for how much do u spend - Spend as much as u can to get good gear cos if u hit the tarmac at any speed it hurts.......and thats after that car pulls out on u, which hurts......... then it hurts when u hit the street furniture......then it hurts when a car on coming hits u........ its comforting to have some good gear on. But then in that sense, why dont cyclists wear a load of kit after all they can hit 30 -40mph and are, until we on motorbikes go faster, are at greater risk.
    What u gotta ask yaself is do u feel lucky?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information