1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protective kit - when is it too much?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by figaro, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ever tried cycling in leathers?

2. No but i have run and I was hanging!
    Not leathers per-say, but when I have seen Tour de France and the pile ups on a bend at the bottom of a hill those pest pants dont really cut the mustard, same goes for ur average rider on the street. Opened a can of worms here! I didnt mean literal Bike gear. but it could be interesting for a charity fund raiser :upyeah:

3. It's highly problematic. What you need for sweating, high-energy cycling isn't really compatible with safety if it goes tits up.
    So you hope it doesn't.

But it often does.

4. I once broke down and just about managed to get to a dealer. They kindly lent me a 50cc scooter. Thing is I was in my full power ranger leathers as i was just coming back from a fast ride.

I was on the way to pick up my missus too from where she was doing her cbt at the time.

Imagine the laughter when they saw me pick her up on a 50cc scooter dressed like a power ranger.

Also it was the first time i rode a scooter. bit of a shock:) bet someone also thought the same of me at the time

5. I used to keep my GPz at my parents house a few years ago, about 30 miles from where I lived. I used to go there on my Sanya SY125 in my power ranger suit. It looked a little ridiculous, but it was a clear 5mph faster than it was in textiles!

6. Very interesting thread this.....

I used to dress up like a power ranger when I rode sports bikes, since moving on to naked bikes I think it looks slightly odd and as I started to use my bikes year round I decided to get some waterproof Wolf textiles.

I'm now finding in the hotter months they are just too warm! I just bought a nice summer Dainese jacket and am now considering what to wear on the bottom half, do I go for leather trousers or do I go for Kevlar jeans, doing a lot of pondering and I'm swaying towards the jeans.....

I will occasionally ride to the shops with just jeans, short boots, jacket, helmet and gloves but if i'm going further I will always don the armoured textiles but despise walking around town in them, I'm looking for a balance between protection and comfort and I think Jacket and Kevlar jeans will be it.....

7. I'm having kit problems this year. I will always favour leather over textiles - call me old-fashioned if you will - but it seems to be impossible to buy a jacket nowadays that hasn't been perforated to within an inch of it's life. And what good is that in an English summer..?

Textiles are no good to me. I'm the first to admit they're a massive improvement in winter, but in the summer this fat kid turns into a boil-in-the-bag biker the second the sun comes out. But every leather jacket on sale now has lycra panels up the arms that act like a sponge in the lightest of downpours, and are covered in perforations just to be absolutely sure you get soaked. What good is this in Blighty?

At the moment I'm dodging round in textile jacket and leather jeans, which seems to be a common combo in most motorcycling circles. But I'd much rather be wearing leather.

8. if the perforated jacket is too cold, try putting a lined over suit over the top (or even an unlined one) I was out with a few mates last year when it started to rain on the way home. with my unlined waterproof jacket over my RST 1 piece suit the perceived temperature went up about 10 degrees just by stopping the wind going through. The cheapest of cheap over suits will do, as its a wind break.

I'm with you on leather, and nothing baggy either. If i'd have been wearing baggy textile trousers (or even jeans) last year the lower break in my leg would likely have been compound, with a very good chance of taking the femoral artery with it. The closer fitting leather jeans held everything together.

9. i never ride without protective gear. vest, boots , gloves and helmet 5% of the time. 100% covered 95% of the time... it becomes a ritual.. i must say i spent quit a bit of money on this kit. Also for the mss ... i haven't regretted it one second.. bad gear will easily spoil your already expensive day or cut your riding time in half. you should Always iclude it in your ride budget before you start.. imho... :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. i know what youre saying it is a bit of a flaff dragging all the protective gear on and it looks a bit wiered.but you owe it to yourself to be as safe & protected as much as you can there aint no second chances as far as i can see.i ride a hyper the one thing i will change is helmet if i am just going around town i will wear a peaked mx/adventure style if iam on long run i will use a none peaked helmet .dont want to upset anyone but shorts on a bike just plain stupid someone at some point will have to scrape them up off the tarmac and then scrape there burnt skin off the exhaust /engine etc should be outlawed(if not aready)

11. Deffo all the leathers for any ride.
    Would you drive your car without seatbelt?

Touch wood, i've only been in one accident, and despite it damaged a bit of my very valuable T-Age, i am glad i wore it - it saved me many damages.

Next to that, wearing the leathers, shiny and polished, makes ladies and lads look all over, and my god those funny comments you get in the supermarket, like "Oh my god, what is it you are wearing, what is that for?"
    "It's laundry day..." makes it all worth it :)

12. I remember, when i took my bike license back in the days in Denmark '97, we where told by the instructor, that he had a very good agreement made with the local A&E.... If any one came in with soars from not wearing their protectives, they would keep adding salt to the wounds for the first 3 days, then start pealing the stones etc out of your skin after that...

Hands up, for those who wanna try that ;)

13. Nope, but i have flown with Ryanair and BA in full bike kit, as i left the bike in the airport, and was picked up on a bike when landed again :)
    What an experience through security of Stansted and Manchester Airports :biggrin:

14. Full kit all the time. A two peice Alpinestars leather suite for communting. One peice suit for longer rides and trackdays. The only time I dont wear full kit is when I have to walk the two miles to the bike shop to pick my bike up, then its jeans, walking boots to replace the leather trousers and biking boots followed by a very cautious ride home.
    I dont feel comfy without full gear on. Better to have it and not need it IMO. Going back to Figs original point, I would much prefer to see more scooter riders wearing more protective kit, but each to their own

15. I wear full kit all the time. You can never wear too much protection IMO.

Even when its stonking hot (40c plus) I've worn my leathers and back protector. It's fine whilst your moving but by God it gets warm when you stop for a breather. But I wouldn't do it any other way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. All the gear, all the time. Generally I wear Draggin Jeans with knox armour with proper boots, leather jacket (with back protector), gloves and lid of course.

I have a two piece suit but dont wear it that often and I've recently bought some Dainese Alien trousers to wear in place of the jeans (though they're just a touch big sadly).

17. Its like a personal sauna :smile:

18. Isn't that a three piece?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Its the only way to commute, put my feet up and read the paper :tongue:

Sorry, it was really early when I posted that. Hadnt had any coffee :smile:
    Thanks for taking the piss is a subtle way thou :wink::wink:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information