1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quotes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by XH558, Mar 24, 2019.

1. "sure it's a slow day, Moss and Brooks ain't here"
    Masten Gregory

#861 Chris, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. "I'm going outside, i may be sometime.!"

Captain Lawrence Edward Grace.

3. When it comes to Psychology, some of the most gifted people are not even "trained" Psychologists.

a well-known self-confessed nutjob

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Superhuman effort, isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.

Ernest Shackleton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. "Two continuous columns of decomposed fermenting sewage, hissing like soda-water with baneful gases, so black that the water is stained for miles and discharging a corrupt charnel-house odour, that will be remembered by all ... as being particularly depressing and sickening."

a chemist, 1878

• WTF WTF x 1
  6. Is this the UK water companies mission statement?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diplomacy's the art of telling to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.

Churchill

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nikita Khrushchev

"The survivors (of a nuclear war) would envy the dead."

-=-=-

We and you ought not to pull on the ends of a rope which you have tied the knots of war. Because the more the two of us pull, the tighter the knot will be tied. And then it will be necessary to cut that knot, and what that would mean is not for me to explain to you. I have participated in two wars and know that war ends when it has rolled through cities and villages, everywhere sowing death and destruction. For such is the logic of war. If people do not display wisdom, they will clash like blind moles and then mutual annihilation will commence

-=-=-

If you don't like us, don't accept our invitations and don't invite us to come to see you. Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you.

(( I welcome dislikes on this post - because I don't want to witness mass atomic deaths ))

#871 GunZenBomZ, May 28, 2024
    Last edited: May 28, 2024
  9. The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Oscar Wilde

• Like Like x 2
  10. On election day how about a Winston Churchill quote describing Clement Attlee as "A modest little man with plenty to be modest about"

#873 Andy Bee, Jul 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 4
  11. Aldous Huxley

Unlike the masses, intellectuals have a taste for rationality and interest in facts. Their critical habit of mind makes them resistant to the kind of propaganda that works so well on the majority.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Donald E. Scott; The Electric Sky

All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; second, it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Idiom; what the collective west is doing right now.

..whistling past the graveyard

• Like Like x 1
  12. When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser

Socrates

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Quite the man for a good quote old Winnie, one of his worst (I won’t put what he said about Indians during the mass deaths from starvation in the 40s), “If the Welsh are striking over hunger, we must fill their bellies with lead” Somewhat at odds with the ‘man of the people’ image portrayed today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Hmmm... the validity of the attribution of the quote varies depending on the web site it appears.

The Marxist Student Federation, the Anarchist Communist Group & The Norwich Radical (Decolonise Wales page) all maintain these are famous words written by Winston Churchill. Much of which is stirred by renewed interest in Tariq Ali's book "Winston Churchill: His Times, His Crimes" & "Ragged Trouser Philanderer"'s X tweets.

Richard M Langworth, Senior Fellow of Hillsdale College, Churchill Project and WalesOnline both maintain the attribution of the quote to Churchill is incorrect. With the former writing "Churchill specifically forbade the use of troops unless demanded by police. The last Welsh strike leader alive, Will Mainwaring, spoke to the BBC in 1960: “We never thought that Winston Churchill had exceeded his natural responsibility as Home Secretary. The military did not commit one single act that allows the slightest resentment by the strikers. On the contrary, we regarded the military as having come in the form of friends to modify the otherwise ruthless attitude of the police forces.” and the latter article can be read here https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/churchill-memo-tonypandy-riots-up-6677339

• Like Like x 1
  15. I am old enough to remember some third-hand scandal attached to W.L.S.C. ^ the like of which never saw "the light of day" in a newspaper article. I can tell you that it happened in Surrey.

"a happy sleep often translates to a happy morning"

ME

• Like Like x 1
  16. "Two pints of beer in a delightful old English pub will lead to a blissful afternoon".

That bloke on the coast again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Sutherland portrait?

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/sutherland-portrait/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information