1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 throttle mod on 999

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Peo!!, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I couldn't put it any better :)
    Still need to give it a good run but first impressions are good.
    It's no quick throttle but just makes it sharper I think

2. loving them

3. I had a quick action throttle on my monster but found it a little too 'snatchy' when negotiating tight corners, roundabouts etc. but that was more likely down to my inexperience in dealing with said tight corners on a twin at the time (i.e. the occasional need to slip the clutch, etc).

4. this mod is for any twin cabled throttle..........as the 999 is 90 degrees zero to hero............any single cabled ducati with the domino throttle is 67 degrees zero to hero.......hence almost a third shorter travel and tbh doesnt need changing!

5. Thanks for the part number. Fitting was a breeze. £14.77 well spent.

6. Forgive my ignorance but do you not have to cut the grip off and then replace it? I've never taken a throttle or grip off before.......
    Cheers

7. Nah..... Wiggle it off.

Best way I've found is to get a coat hanger and shape it like an old school starter handle, sorta Z shape.
    Blunt the end and carefully push it up the grip betwixt the grip and clip-on.
    Then turn, it will work its way around the grip breaking any bond/glue.
    Squirt WD40 up there and off she comes.

To re-fit, remove all traces of WD and I use water with a little hand soap or washing liquid, slip on a and leave to dry. Some recon hairspray is a good option.

Good luck...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks very much Nelson.
    I'm definitely going to try this one, as soon as I can get one ordered.
    Cheers!

9. I just left the supplied grip on the tube. Doesn't bother me about the slight mis-match in pattern

10. I think the R1 tube has 70/72 dgs , I have fitted a QAT that has much less than that but I cant remember how much,but they are so much betterer.

11. I fitted these to my 999 they come with different sized cams so you choose how quick they are , and they look great ,. Rizoma Lux Series Billet Grips

12. Well, I've been sitting on this R1 throttle grip for a few months now, finally GOMA and fitted it.

Good god, I hope I remember tomorrow when I ride to work. :eek:

13. Bought the tube as per this post and fitted it - all easy enough, however the action doesn't appear to be too much different (a few degrees if that)

Measured the diameter of the OEM (749r) tube as 35.1mm, and the Yamaha replacement as 36.7mm - a difference yes, but not quite what I was expecting, still not much short of 90 degrees

Options:
    1) Yamaha have kept the same part number but changed it - unlikely
    2) Owner is a tool and fitted it wrong - possible
    3) The results as exagerated - ?

Place you bets - option 2 is at evens :biggrin:

14. To be honest I never noticed a massive difference, I may grab an R6 one and try that

15. I wonder if R model 749 tubes are different from base-model and S-model 749's and 999's?

Well, I fitted the 2004 R1 tube to my 2003 999S (as mentioned by me, earlier on in the thread) and I can now fully open the throttle without any bother. I used to need to take two bites at it with the original Duc item, unless I made a special effort to contort my hand around the grip at the fully shut position before opening it. I think this mod is wonderful.

Something someone else mentioned struck me - they said that the mod took out the slack in the throttle cable (a change which they liked). Since fitting the R1 tube on my bike, I no longer get that incredibly annoying rising-revs thing the bike started doing at full steering-lock. It suddenly appeared one day (or did it appear after a service by the dealer???), and I could not dial it out completely, I was only able to make it slightly better.

So I am a double-happy-bunny. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I don't think for me the r1-r6 throttles would of been enough, I like to open an shut throttle in one move ie shut off from wide open and brake hard not have to take two goes at shutting the throttle as per standard set up.
    I think the std throttle gives about 95 deg, I have an accossato qa throttle and have tried all the wheels and measured the change.
    37mm wheel very slightly under 90 deg (no real change)
    40mm wheel around 80 deg a great change not jerky at all I found it nearly perfect.
    43mm wheel 74 deg feels spot on for me I can cover the brake at 3/4 throttle for me its perfect, a bigger gruntier bike than my 749 may be as well with 40 mm wheel ?.
    But I would add for this set up you do need to change cables and I think the whole kit aint cheap at £130 inc cables but id never go back to a 90+ deg throttle its a great improvment. :smile:

17. Difference on circumference is 5mm so on 90deg 1.25mm off pull, roughly 4deg difference ish.

18. Are we ignoring the cam effect of the R1 tube, at 70-100% open throttle?
    I thought the effective rotation, as regards cable travel, was non-linear. So that the wider you open the throttle, the greater the rate at which the cables are moved.

19. I've fitted a couple now and been pleased with the results.
    Not a massive difference, but enough for the ole zero to hero ratio of one twist...:biggrin: Which was all I was after + eliminated the annoying slack...and none of us want that! :eek:
    Cheap effective mod in my book.

I used part no. 4YR-26240-02-00

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cheers for the replies guys - strange how I'm not getting the effect some of you are but £15 was worth a punt (plus my new grips which have just arrived).

Never struggled with this bike or my last 749s with any slack but recognise the rising revs on full lock scenario from the S - fortunately not on the R though

I think I'll wait for the rain to go, give it a test and if it needs a quicker action, I'll be coinsidering the accossato qa throttle.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information