1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear brake again

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Richard H, Jul 27, 2012.

1. I had no idea it was anything as bad and dangerous as that. I think by now if I were in your shoes I would taken it to the dealer and asked no TOLD them to sort it out then call me when it is done and if you get no satisfaction it would be trading standards etc. It sounds like the bike is not fit for the road.

Richard H "(4 times back to the dealer in 15 months for rear brake)" :eek: What have they actually done/changed? From the dealers point of view, if you told me they have pretty much changed everything to do with the rear brake - then I would try to be more understanding as to why you are in this position. :rolleyes:

2. I believe the dealer has done their best to sort the bike, the second visit I think they fitted a new master cylinder and I think the third visit they fitted all the upgrade parts. This last time they just bled it; at the moment it feels ok although there is little point in having ABS as I have never been able to activate it. While I was in the Alps I rode it for a 1000 miles with no back brake so kind of getting used to not using it.
    Perhaps this is as good as it gets???
    I still rate the bike (even with the other non brake warranty issues I have had :eek:) Excitement, performance and comfort are spot on but I always have that nagging feeling that at some point it is going to let me down

3. Although the rear brake is the least dependable in respect to adjusting for speed, (front and engine) the science is clear; stopping in the shortage distance requires both front and rear brakes. My front brake was a little soft when I left home this summer but still worked. I had to get on the brakes really hard in the Yukon to stop for grizzly bear and her two cubs. I got my bike stopped within 10-15 ft. from her. I sat frozen on the bike. To my delight, she looked at her cubs, turned and walked away from me. I'm not sure if I could have made that stop with the front brake only. I've been a motorcycle safety instructor for the past 19 years and practice braking in a parking lot often so I won't have to think about them when I need them. I've owned 5 BMWs and their brakes seem much better than the ones on the Multistrada.

I wrote to my Ducati rep to see what Ducati is doing to deal with the problem. I'm hoping that they are spending more time with their engineers than their lawyers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Please let us know what response you get

5. Just traded my 2010 S Touring in for a 2012 (BEAUTIFUL Matte Titanium) model, and I can report that the back brake is better. Still shite, but better than before, which was NO brake.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information