1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing Marchesini Forged Wheels

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Arctic Silk, May 29, 2024.

1. I’ve used Steve for a few bits of powder coating and he’s Just down the road from me too!! Will give them a call too. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Then you can’t be far from me either, they are about 4-5 miles from home! If you see a black 1200R or an idiot laughing his ass off on a black KTM Super Duke, that’ll be me!

3. Ha…will look out for you. Look out for me on the Hypermotard laughing my arse off (when I get a new wheel)!! I’m Devizes / Calne way.

4. I’m about 4 miles south of Devizes on the road to Stonehenge

• Like Like x 1
  5. Have to say…Tommy at Motoliner was extremely helpful. Said that these single sided wheels which are forged can be easily repaired and something like this looks fine for them. Worst case is £150 +VAT and can turn it round asap as I’m in a pickle here! 5stars so far to them.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Knowledge for everyone else…turns out the kid removing the tyre took it off from the wrong side (it is a single sided wheel) and the face side has the beading which makes the rim much stronger. MAKE SURE YOU ALL ASK FOR TYRES TO BE REMOVED AND FITTED TO THE FACE SIDE in the future. Don’t want this happening to anyone else. They are at least admitting liability now and completely covering the costs.

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 3
  7. @Arctic Silk i have added your last post to your first and stickied the thread so it's easy to find as I think it's an important piece of information

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thank goodness that they stepped up. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pleased to hear that you got a full resolution in the end. Hopefully replacement will be delivered ahead of your trip.

Do you know; is this just Marchesini wheels or does this apply across the board with wheels on Ducati SSA bikes?

10. Couldn’t say for sure. I’m basing this purely on my forged wheels, but would imagine it is just as important for standard type single sided wheels.

11. All single sided wheels are the same, it's the well that is offset, nothing to do with strength.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. as a slight aside, Hopton MOT Station in Devizes also do bike tyres and fitting, owned and run by dedicated bikers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think you'll find Steve turner says on his web site that they do not repair damaged wheels and there are contact details on there for who does.......

14. +1 for Tommy at Motorliner, top class work, great communication, highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Another update….i wasn’t aware of this fact, but the tyre centre also mentioned that the kid never reduced the air pressure when clamping the rim (car wheels can take the higher force apparently), so also damaged my rim in other places!
    Wheel is currently at Motoliner so hoping Tommy can sort and get it back to me asap.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Given the amount that they are now owning up to I’d be pushing for a new wheel.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. For your circumstances, I would look for a new wheel. The best way to get them to learn is to pay the high price for the learning...

If you want to fix cheaply, I would say like others have, motoliner in Kent.
    I have some clip on redressed and it was an A job, and such a trivial one for them. They redress frames / wheels / etc with much more damage that this one.

TCPS is very recommended for refurbishing, but I don't believe that they straighten wheels.

18. If the tyre fitters are refusing to replace the part it might he worth lodging a small claim with the local court. Its a straightforward and simple process, they may just pay up when you send them a letter saying you've no choice but to do so.

19. I would have a car wheel replaced day of the week. Any problems there are another 3. But a bike one....:thinkingface:

20. Jumping on this thread, I’m guessing this is too far gone? IMG_7650.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information