Restoring ('91) 900ss That Has Been In Storage For 15 Yrs!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MacBulldog, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Okay, is this template is off by 1MM? Of so do I need to reconfigure the gauge to be 12MM or 14MM or do I need to construct and have both on hand just in case I need to raise or lower the fuel level to smooth out the fuel delivery at all engine speeds?

2. Bloody hell! You have gotta be the tidiest person and most organised ever? Can you pop round and sort out my sock draw ASAP please

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Great great looking Ducati chap - put up some pics when it's all done mate

4. Never could count...

5. make a set of different depth templates, it's easy prays.
    Alternatively, make a template that is say 10mm and tape another piece to it to make it 12,14 or whatever you like.
    The miscounting is across the width of the template, which makes no difference to the accuracy of measuring the float height at all.

#65 Old rider, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. Hey 749ducaticonvert - thanks and lol on my "tidy" side! I am a decent wrench but I really have to be a bit finicky (tidy) about taking things apart and putting them back together again besides my memory is just not as good as it once was.

I learned early on from my uncle (a military aircraft mechanic/engineer) to label everything. Now I shoot project pics each step along the way and read everything I can get my hands on plus join forums like this great group for the hands on or real world experience of true rider-wrenches.

Oh, I will upload my progress and any questions that come up and then finished project - hopefully Spring 2016 if all goes well!

• Like Like x 3
  7. There ate two major issues that affect the SS and I have suffered both of them.
    The first is frame cracks, which occur èither side of the reinforcing plate behind the headstock. My own view that is largely due to the over harsh forks. After I fitted a new frame, I swapped the oem 7.5 wt oil for 5wt. This allowed the forks to flex instead of the frame.
    The other thing you can do to prevent it is to fit a brace to reinforce the frame at that point. There's a guy on this forum who makes and sells them.
    The second problem is the flywheel/alternator but. These can come loose and wreak havoc. I was lucky and mine only took out one of the ignition pick ups.
    If you get an engine knock, followed by a cylinder dropping out, suspect the alternator nut...

8. Thanks Old Rider for sharing your unfortunate but valuable SS experience with me. I had heard about the frame/welds cracking at the steering head unions and on some SS models at the rear shock mounts. The rear cracks I believe occur mostly on the steel swing arm models but not sure it could be a potential issue on all SS models(?). So far I have not discovered any cracks (yet, but the welds are not very "neat" either and suspect). I have thoroughly inspected the entire frame/welds and will keep any eye on this once I get the old beast back on the road (thanks!).

As for changing the shock oil I have already discovered the right front fork seal is seeping oil. My guess is that they should be replaced on both forks as the only real movement they have had in 15 years has been raising and lowering the bike on the wheel stands and short rolls onto and off the trailer to get it to my garage. Do you know if rebuilding these forks is a pain in the @$$ and best left to a shop that had all the correct tools?

Good advice on the flywheel/alternator nut coming loose and what to look out for and the symptoms. Do you suggest I pull the cover and inspect the flywheel/alternator nut (I assume I would need the Ducati tools and possibly replacement gasket to do this). Thanks again!

9. Thanks Steve R for the follow up and info. I will look online for the tools I will need or if you have some photos of the tools you made and maybe their sizes, etc I can attempt to build them here with the help of a grind that fabricates rare F1 parts and special tools?

I have tried searching for the Nicholls Engineering company for the slim locknuts but am having little luck - can you post their website address and/or link to the locknuts parts? Again THANKS!

10. Haven't heard of cracks on rear shock mounts but have heard of cracks in alloy swing arm. Also, engine studs can break on the 900.
    Haven't needed to rebuild forks, so can't help there.
    Your bike shouldn't be showing problems at such low mileage but prevention is a great deal better than cure, so I would install the Nichols locking nuts now and also replace the fork oil now and maybe even get a frame brace now, as a cracked frame will be a real problem to fix. I think I may well have had the very last free frame from Ducati and it may not be possible to get one at all now.

11. Yes, I total agree that there are several preventive maintenance and replacement items on the growing list of to-dos on this bike before it hits the road. I assume the frame brace (to preserve the original since Ducati will not warranty mine pif it breaks) and the flywheel loving nuts are two of the key upgrades that might just prevent a catastrophic failure.

I assume the frame brace has to be welded in place which would mean a complete tear down, paint removal (blasting) and re-powder coating of the upgraded frame - right?

12. Very nice job and good insurance! I will be ordering one of these braces!!!

13. On the subject of tires, have any of you had any experience with the Pirelli Diablo SuperSport Combo (120/70ZR17 Front and 180/55ZR17 Rear - this is the current set up on my 900SS but old Michelin Hi-Sports)? I have found this combo for $179.99USD with Free Shipping and No Tax but I have no experience with this tire combo.
    Here is the link to this deal: Pirelli Diablo Supersport Tire Combo | MotoSport

14. And...... Clean hands and those nails are tidy :)

15. Just hope you're patient. Someone else on here ordered one a while ago and got very frustrated about delays and poor communication. He did get it eventually though.

16. Thank you Ducbird for noticing but my "tidy nails" are not the norm .... I must have had a weak moment .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information