Featured Retirement

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mike willis, Apr 16, 2024.

1. We have friends who live in Cornwall and they have very limited health care access, less hospitals and much longer waits for treatment

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Nice one. I was lucky enough to retire 5 years ago, just after my 49th birthday. Loved it, but just recently found myself sitting around the house more than I liked, so started back at my old place on 2 days a week. Not sure if it's a good move or not, jury is out on that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm sat at work reading this thread!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hard at it eh!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’ve chased my transfer sum today. Requested via my FA in December so well overdue! I have an idea of what it is but won’t believe it til I see it. Then will be moving to private and considering whether I take some of the lump early next year (55 in Dec) to clear the mortgage and go down a day or two at work for a few years.

• Like Like x 4
  6. 61, plan to stop at 65 when the mortgage goes. The Duke stays though!

7. Can you not work to the point where you reap the rewards of business without the daily ‘work’?

8. Yep - the shit ive done in the past - i shouldnt be here now...

• Like Like x 1
  9. It’s interesting reading about people retiring and wanting to asap. I turned 60 last year and nothing could be further from my mind. I’m lucky I suppose to do something I love, in a passion industry (I make video games - not saying who for or which, plus there’s a chance, a good one, you or someone close played them), travelling internationally when I choose, meeting people who I’ve worked with for 25+ years. Every week I learn something new, work on new and emerging platform, new technologies (AI) and most importantly work with people of all ages, nationalities and religions. The people I work with I’m very open about my age and the last thing I want to do is block their progress. I’m there to mentor them, prepare them to take the reins (which they will), and build their confidence very day. I have seen many friends wither on the vine post retiring and worse, dementia. Being mentally and physically very active is core for me. The most important thing I suppose, is to be happy, continue to work if makes you happy not because you need to. Anyway, I’m off to play with some secret toys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. “Retired” from my business last July.

It hasn’t quite gone to plan.

Was meant to be doing some BIG bike trips over the next two years:
    - 2023 Alaska to Argentina
    - 2024 London to Bangkok
    Didn’t even get out of Alaska. Hit a moose on the Dalton highway and left both my written-off bike and written-off spleen in Fairbanks. London to Bangkok has been cancelled because the tour company owners have both decided to retire!

Got back from Alaska and the Mrs told me she wanted a divorce! After much discussion that hasn’t yet happened and we are working through our problems but as a result we are moving house into the city before being able to sell our current place … and taking a big chunk out of our retirement funds to do so. I hope we can sell our current house soon to top-up the coffers again.

To cap it all off I “parked” my 4-wheel open-top Italian through a hedge, upside-down in a field week before last. Was lucky to crawl out from under it relatively unscathed!

I have no idea what I’m going to do with myself going forwards. Life has been so turned upside-down that any thoughts I had of maybe returning to work part time to keep myself sane in 2025 are far from my head right now. Mine are all first world problems I know, but I feel like I’m in freefall.

• Dislike Dislike x 6
  11. Bloody Nora Dave and that's some news that you shared and I'm gobsmacked I have to say I thought you two were forever!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Me too Viv. Quite a shock. Hoping good things will come of it xxx

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. It seems that occasionally throughout one's life the universe says 'it's you' a bit like the lottery, but instead of pointing, it's the middle finger one gets, and this is your time. I had a period in my 40's like this, one bloody miserable thing after another!
    Good luck mate, you will pull through and be stronger and wiser afterwards....:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  14. I hope good things come of it too
    Thinking of you both xx

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aah tits! Not the MC20? :sob: Noooooo!!

Call Matt Armstrong…

16. It’s not for everyone that’s for sure. A good mate of mine who is about 63 has zero desire to retire. He has a senior job and travels far and wide. He has a fantastic company car and a big pension building. I asked him when we were out the other week why he doesn’t retire. Because he has few hobbies and loves his job was the answer. Fair enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. No … the 458 Spider.

The MC20 has been in the workshop and off the road since November with a whole series of problems. It’s all fixed now but I’ve decided that rather than get another pocket rocket I’m going to take the opportunity of the insurance payout for the 458 and trade the MC20 for a proper big , grown-up GT car … something much less similar and more suited to euro tours than my 911. The Mrs and I are off to Spain on Wed (gatecrashing a Ferrari Owners Club tour) and the new car arrives on Tuesday … so retirement isn’t all bad ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Ooh, what are you getting mister? Bentley GT?

19. Good so see your imminent divorce isn’t interrupting you travel plans together
    Keeping it amicable is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hHopefully it won’t come to that. She has said she’s willing for us to work to try to save our marriage, we are in couples counselling and are making some good changes.

I have learnt that it isn’t that uncommon for these things to happen to a couple at this time of life … both just retired, kids flying the nest, new opportunities etc. … makes one reflect on 20-30 years together, life to date, how long you have left and how you want to live it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information