1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Retirement

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mike willis, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Nice try but bad shooting on your part.

Nowhere in my post did I advocate for working people to strike, I merely pointed out one of the reasons train drivers are paid lots of money compared to others is their militancy in protecting pay and conditions.

AFAIK the Police Force are not allowed to strike hence the poor pay.

There are of course other options other than striking, work to rule is one option refusal to work overtime another.

I was advocating for better pay and conditions for the working person whether that be a train driver or cleaner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I thought Orchard Towers was far from the edgy/ seedy spot it was claimed to be.

3. Maybe you’re more depraved than you realise after a lifetime of pushing boundaries. ;)

4. Yeah you might have a point. Speaking of which, I had a great night out at the Catholic Nuns mud wrestling charity event last week, and won a weekend with two of them in the tombola!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. To be clear were the Nuns the wrestlers or did they organise the event and did you record anything on your phone? Asking for a friend obvs.

6. The warm up and practise was a little slow,

warm up.jpg

but after some communion wine & biscuits, it got going. Here's a Superior Mother!

mud.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. The last 10 years I was working, I did what was specified in my contract of employment, and I didn't need the money so I didn't work overtime. I got the same % pay rise as the people that did 50+ hours a week and went above and beyond. You need to zero your sights.

8. Which one of these beauties is you?

9. I'm the one high fiving my tombola prize

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Whoa, nice tits!
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pretty much agree that spending is high when you first retire (pay off mortgage, new car, world cruise etc), then it settles down and gets less as age catches up but then most people underestimate how long they will live and how much more you could end up needing for long term care (sad but true).

12. So you claim, but we only have your words as evidence your statement is true.

13. The trouble is when you are young and should be saving into your pension for maximum benefit (compound interest is the key) you can’t afford to do it.

I know this seems dumb but I’m going to start a pension for my 6 month old grandson and pay in a bit each month. Hopefully it will give him a head start on the pension ladder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Good to have a project to look forward to

15. I believe financial institutions, financial advisors and the government are attempting to scaremonger the public into saving more and more into a pension with the intended plan of doing away with the state pension all together, or make it so far out of reach that we will all be retiring on our personal pensions and dying before the state one kicks in?

then they just need to work out a way of slowly privatising the NHS and washing their hands of that too?

but they need to do this in a way that we don’t notice and continue paying National Insurance contributions but won’t be getting anything in return

#135 Ackers, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. When i first retired i bought what i had lusted after since i was in my teens, a Silver Laverda Jota, my monthly annuity is about a third of what i was getting paid whilst working, and i didn't initially think i would be able to manage the bills etc, but i have learned to live within my means so its not really a problem, and of course its all offset by not having to go to work, i used to commute over 40 miles a day for the pleasure.

As for trains, i went to Japan with work in 1998 and caught the Shinkansen Bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka, whilst waiting for it to arrive at the station we noticed white painted lines on the edge of the platform, turns out that they dictated where the train doors would perfectly align when it arrived, and they did, we were also gobsmacked to see the platform railway workers/guards etc bowing to the train as it pulled into the station !...imagine that in the UK! ,it was the politest and cleanest country i have ever been to BTW.

17. Exactly that, I mentioned your exact statement above yesterday on the MHF forum and people replied government would never do that, how naive can you be, this is exactly their intention

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. I commuted by train for approx 10 years in the Uk, it was nothing like that!

19. I’m selling the business at 55 and I’ve decided I’m going to spend part time hours driving a bus full of old folks around.
    No hassle no stress

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. The NHS is being allowed to fail.
    More and more people are having to pay for their own procedures, or buying private medical care insurance cover. Perhaps MPs have shares in the insurance providers?
    I have a couple friends, who in the last few years have paid for their own replacement knees at around £16k. Both in their 50's, both told it was now policy to only offer replacement knees to those 70+ years of age. The same may now be true for hips.
    I may well be have to do the same due to an ongoing back issue. The NHS will keep you in mind numbing pills to relieve the symptoms, but that'll be it until you reach qualifying age and then you'll wait and wait!
    They still perform well with life threatening issues, but for how long?
    As part of my retirement planning, I've budgeted for private medical care, I've no appetite to have to wait years for a procedure, should the need arise.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information