1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured 999 Right...f*** This...i'm Going Touring!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by The Royal Maharaja, Apr 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. your subframe hates you.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Took mine to France, Italy many times always camping wonderful times

IMG_20140723_192648-EDIT.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. Fab job. Doesn't matter what it looks like. Yep, my effort; a Ventura rack kit on my 1098. Used to great effect in two 1500 mile trips to Magny Cours WSB. Didn't even notice the tail bag on the back tbh ! Great peice of kit.

IMG_5125.jpeg

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_4996.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. It would make touring practical, but it's certainly somewhere to put the bloody great chain and padlock! Back before I entirely understood security and had the kind you'd get in Halfords it was easy, but since going Ducati I don't park where I can't see it. A disc lock's all very well, but I want to chain it to something like a lamppost. So a top box would be the only way I could do any touring as opposed to just riding.

Cool job of the panniers, but I'd be concerned about trying to get through too small gaps (it's so long since I drove a car I'm not sure I wouldn't try to get through a 2' gap in one).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Have a look at SW MOTECH Blaze Panniers for the SDR......
    Used theses on previous trips along with a 30ltr kriega to Norway/Bosnia etc and these were absolutely faultless,with no leaks,and easy to install....

20210612_101014.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Right..... F*** This...
    I'm going Touring !!

In all my years,of all different types of forums etc......
    This is by far the best subject heading I've ever come across..........
    Straight to the point..... Boom !!!

LOVE IT !!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. +1 for this set up.
    I've just made my own brackets so I can fit my 1098 blaze panniers to my 748 ( I've previously made my own brackets to fit them to my MV)
    I've also got Kreiga tank bras.
    Not so I can travel for months but so I have a massive choice of how to carry stuff.
    I'm sure someone will be along and say why don't you just buy a multistrada
    Well there are 52 weeks in a year I probably tour in total for 4-5 weeks. That means I would be stuck with a multistrada for the other 47 weeks

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why don't you get a Multistrada, use it all year round, there's a clue in the name.

9. You mean Multi Roads. I think you'll find that's not true
    We're all different I don't think they've changed since the very first version

10. Just got bigger and heavier. Just like all of the competition.

11. Well I’m ready for 3 days away. 20 litre Kriega on back, 7 litre Superduke R quicklock tank bag.
    Heading to Pyrenees or Cévennes. Just waiting for this bloody rain to stop then heading in which ever direction weather is most settled. Previsions Meteo says middle of next week, but it keeps changing and I am getting impatient! :motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 4
  12. My last planned trip is on hold, north Spain and Portugal, lining up another

13. The weather's got 2 weeks to sort itself out over there, as we're off on the annual pilgrimage then!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Why Im waiting for next week..

IMG_1173.jpeg

15. Oh, dont worry. Its a big country, suns out now. My 1st bike trip in 2008, second day we set off from Reims in sunshine. Nice. 30 minutes later it was on with waterproofs. Rained so hard it bouncing off the autoroute and the back wheel was spinning up (R1). A little bit wet. 6 hours later we came out of ‘curtain’ of rain, pulled over at a service area and decided on ‘what next’. One of the lads reckoned he knew the area (snowboarder) and he would lead the way. Cool. Or not. Turned off the autoroute and within minutes we had wall to wall rain. Thanks o_Oo_O
    No problem, we arrive somehwere (?) in the French Alps. Turns out Frank Thomas has a different idea of waterproof tail-pack to me. Spend the evening in jeans with a wet crotch, pissed myself? No. Just looks like it madame/monsieur!

The week got hotter and better though. One of the lads broke down. Got a hire car. One of the lads kept the wasps away. (Cheers mate, yellow leathers :joy::joy:)
    Beer, banter, bikes…and a cool country.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Love riding in France in particular, some fabulous memories over the years. @Twin4me's post about the 2024 EMM really got me thinking, sorely tempted by that as the area it's located in this year is fantastic biking territory.

Back on thread a little and this is Carl's early 996 touring adaptations (see his more recent top box on the previous page). His home made pannier rails that easily unbolt, 2 on each side. For use with individual throw overs clipped under the seat, the rails are there just to stop them going into the wheel. Plus replacement of the pillion pad with an aluminium plate complete with rubber mat and small bungie/strap tie-down eyes. Being put to very good use here :D
    03072010_008.jpg
    Ironically this was outside a supermarket in Carros, where the hotel/base for this years EMM is (this has to be a sign...), we were in a campsite just down the road.

#37 Bumpkin, May 2, 2024
    Last edited: May 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I’m feeling a French forum meet up of some sort required at some point, few nights somehwere, few ride outs?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Well, @J biker interestingly enough, we’re having our annual ride out 13-16 June. We rent a « Gîte », ride all day long in small groups (based on how far, how fast, or how relaxed you want your day…) and gather around a good beer and a good diner at the end of the day (or around a broken down Ducati, sometimes). This year, it will be near Figeac. We have a few slots left, so if interested, pm me for more details.

And before this, 17-19 May, I am heading out to Le Castellet on the SP3 (Paul Ricard race track) where the 916 30th anniversary will be celebrated by the French Ducati Owners Club. Vercors on the way down to Toulon and Southern Alps on the way up. Yum, yum, yum… :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gutted I'm back in the UK for June...:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information