1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rushjob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Everyone dies a death, and yet, not everyone lives a life.
    This fella touched death regularly during his life, and yet what a long and fulfilled life that has been
    A bit profound but a real hero ..........

• Like Like x 3
  2. Whilst not wishing to detract from the great man's achievement, he wouldn't have been the first to break the sound barrier were it not for some significant British input.
    The Miles Aircraft Co had developed the stabilator, a quantum leap in aircraft design which overcame the tail flutter problems encountered at high subsonic speeds. The USA reneged on a deal with the British Government and acquired the stabilator designs by devious means, which were in turn handed over to the Bell Aircraft Co and into the eponymous Bell X1.
    Miles' design overcame the subsonic handling problems of the X1 and Yeager went into the history books.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Did not say he did, nor that the Britz did not foresee the significant issues first, and solve them all, yet history is there for all.... repeatedly it seems.
    RIP Mr Jaeger

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeager even - getting old!

5. I was not replying to your post; just adding some context.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Miles M52... Remarkably similar to Bell X1. Spooky.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. And before 1947 and the sound barrier, he flew in WWII. Survived bailing out of a burning P-39 during training and being shot down by Ze Germans over France, where he ended up spending some time with the resistance before being exfiltrated to Spain through the Pyrénées. Claimed 12+ victories (kills), which makes him a war ace. A Cat with 9 lifes, this man...

https://www.chuckyeager.com/1943-1945-the-war-years

I met him briefly in Edwards AB, in 1995, where he still flew as a retired General in the USAF test pilot wing. I was a young pilot in training visiting and literally ran into him in the aircrew lockers room after a flight. He signed my French flag patch on my shoulder, as I couldn’t resist asking. Very honored and humbled that day!

Reposez en paix, Mr Yeager.

• Like Like x 10
  8. He really must have been quite a guy in many respects with a great deal of good qualities. I read this quote about him years ago after looking him up following an hours and a half watching "The Right Stuff".

""Unfortunately, many people do not consider fun an important item on their daily agenda. For me, that was always a high priority in whatever I was doing."

RIP Chuck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. There are more than few occasions the United Kingdom has been shafted by America, interesting background story. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good story!

11. I read his book. He had a full life with great achievements.
    Rip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jeez, a legend and only 64, great shame. Another Rip.

Better hurry up and enjoy ourselves before it’s too late!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. RIP.
    No words, no age, live life to it's fullest, cos you just don't know......then it's too late.

14. Age 83, passed peacefully yesterday.

15. ironic how she passed away at 8.35pm last night just as eastenders finished..

Another luvly Cockney climbs them stairs ...

At least she can once again have a giggle with her old mte Sid James hey..

Bless her..

X

• Like Like x 1
  16. :(

Carry On films at Xmas?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oh no :( that’s sad news
    RIP babs

18. God I hope not!

Sad news.

19. The question is will she be remember for the bras busting out on her all those years ago or the Eastenders role.RIP

Do Not Sell My Personal Information