1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rushjob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Maggie Thatchers press secretary

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. In a 1996 letter replying to Liverpool fan Graham Skinner - whose friend had died in the disaster - Ingham said:

"I believe there would have been no Hillsborough disaster if tanked up yobs had not turned up in very large numbers to try to force their way in the ground."

He added that Liverpool should "shut up about Hillsborough".

The Inquiry found that the fans were unlawfully killed in 2016. Asked whether he would apologise for calling Liverpool fans "tanked up yobs", he said: "I have nothing to say".

• Like Like x 2
  3. R.I.P.Betty you were a good un.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. so true, so far all that have followed have not been able to hold a candle to Betty. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Not sure if they were all pissed but almost certainly a dollop of truth in this. The situation was certainly exacerbated by many fans without tickets forcing their way into the ground.

6. Did they force their way into the ground Mary?

• Like Like x 1
  7. From what I’ve read, a lot of fans rushed the gates and entered the stadium, so yes.

Hmmm, just re read some. Apparently the police opened a gate ?? I’m not sure what they expected to happen when hundreds of ticketless fans were hanging around outside…

#3308 Fairy Cringe, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry, Mary the Liverpool fans did not rush the gates.This was a lie made up by the police at the time and published in The Sun newspaper.I was at the game with my wife and we saw what happened at the Leppings Lane end of the ground.The disaster came about because of mismanagement by the police.Before the controversial entrance of the fans that end of the ground was packed with fans like sardines in a can and at the opposite Forest end the fans had loads of space.Ask yourself “why did the police lie about the fans forcing the gate when they opened it themselves.”As a result of the lies that were told even today few people understand what happened.I shall never forget that awful day when I saw a little boy with his little Liverpool woolly hat on expire a few yards away.I have never wanted to go to a football match since.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Fair do’s. Why did the police open the gate? Panic?

10. Lack of experience if you read the link and control room errors
    283-284

#3312 Ducbird, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I will never understand why they did Mary.Believe me there were not that many fans around them at the time although people have been led to believe there were.Obviously the police didn’t realise what would happen when they made the awful decision to open the gate.Having made the mistake the lies that followed were unforgivable. Mary, I understand why you and many more people have the wrong slant on the whole disaster to this day. The Sun newspaper has a lot to answer for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RIP Ms Betty Boothroyd, House of Commons was firmly under her control.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. A woman that led a very full life -dancer, secretary. MP, HoC Speaker and feisty member of the Lords. RIP

tiller.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. RIP Betty :(

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pulp bassist Steve Mackey has passed away aged 56

16. Sad news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fifty six... What a shame. He certainly left us with something to remember him by.

steve.jpg

#3319 Jez900ie, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  18. I missed it in the mainstream media, but Classic Rock published a brief obituary for Barrett Strong in the latest issue. Co-writer with Norman Whitfield of I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Just My Imagination (Runnin' Away With Me), War, Cloud Nine, Ball of Confusion (That's What the World is Today), Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home), I Can't Get Next to You and Papa Was a Rollin' Stone.

Certainly achieved the objective in Andy Bee's last post in the Quotes thread.

#3320 GrumpyGolfer, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information