1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rushjob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Don’t go there. When I heard on the radio the first thing that came into me mind was. But WHO with and WHY?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RIP JPR Williams. A hero when I was younger , even just for the sideburns.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Peak sideburns, in his prime. RIP

jpr.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Probably the first ever rugby Rock Star.!

RIP

• Like Like x 3
  5. No, Barry John.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just reading this during my lunch break because he's a hero from my youth:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52052510

These quotes from it typify what Rugby was when I was growing up, and why some of these guys are my heros.

The contrast, maybe even conflict, between the first paragraph and second show an almost 'Victorian Gentleman' expectation of the players.

"Although he retired from international rugby in 1981 to concentrate on his other career as an Orthopaedic surgeon, he kept turning out occasionally for home club Bridgend into the 1990s and even played for local side Tondu's third team in his fifties before finally hanging up his boots in 2003".

"The next tour, of South Africa in 1974, would become similarly etched in Lions folklore as the visitors won 21 of their 22 matches, drawing one of their four Tests against the Springboks.
    It was a brutal series marred by on-pitch violence, with match officials doing little to control it and the relative absence of cameras compared to the modern game making retrospective punishment unlikely.
    The Lions adopted the now infamous '99 call' of instant retaliation where, if one player hit back at a Springbok, all other Lions were expected to join in the melee or hit the nearest opponent".

• Like Like x 3
  7. Very sad news .
    RIP Anne

A proper full-on rock chick !

8. rest in peace Annie, an incredible role model and nobody could hold a candle to her "back in the day". she brought an excitement to new music and I would even put her above John Peel on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Spent many a year listening to Anne, played some epic tunes

rip

10. RIP Anne. Another great leaves us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. If you look on his wiki page youll see multiple years "missing" from his career. Heavily into booze and drugs (and i believe suffered with depression).

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information