1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rushjob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Very sad. Michael has had a bumpy time of late

2. I watched followed him racing on his F2 at Assen, Villa Real and Montjuic Park back in the mid 80's. Fond memories.

3. Sad news. RIP

4. RIP Tony. What a legend.

5. As a young lad I used to watch him at Mallory, Cadwell, Oulton and Brands in the early sixties.

• Like Like x 1
  6. In September 1983 the last round of the Formula 2 World Championship was at Assen. Tony Rutter was leading the championship (again) but not by much. I happened to be in the paddock, and discovered that Tony was on his own - the factory mechanics etc had been withdrawn at that point - so I offered to give him a hand which he gladly accepted.

It started to come on to rain as the field arrived at the grid after the sighting lap, so Tony wanted to swap from slicks to intermediate tyres. I rushed out from the pit lane to the front row carrying a stand, two wheels and a few tools, and proceeded to change over his wheels on the spot. Following this, much of the grid did the same.

In the race, after a delayed start, Tony finished second which was enough to secure the championship. I guarded his bike in the finishers' enclosure, making sure the petrol taps were off and the battery disconnected, and stopping people from pinching souvenirs, while Tony went off to spray champagne.

I felt privileged to be able to play a small part. Fond memories of a great rider and a true champion.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Bill Withers is dead at 81. He had a great catalogue of 1970s soul with hits like “Ain’t No Sunshine” & “Lean on Me.”

#1728 Jez900ie, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Balls such a great voice ! RIP Bill

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. :( now known as the artist Bill Withered :(

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. It seemed such a lovely day as well...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. A very talented musician
    Sad news,

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. A true legend, stunning voice

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bill “No Longer” Withers

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. He's better off dead...

15. Does this mean we can no longer use the classic joke -

How do you turn a duck in to a soul singer?

Put in in the microwave until its Bill Withers

I’m leaving now.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Not the dreaded virus surely?

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. I think it was old age...

18. Think it was a heart attack...

When he got a retail bill for one of his kits..

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I imagine those prices might increase

Do Not Sell My Personal Information