1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Salvage Auction 999…..what Have I Done!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by G-man, Nov 19, 2023.

1. The big round connector connects the front loom to the main loom. Not uncommon for wires in this connector to break or corrode. The CanBus between the dash and ECU passes through this connector as well. There is a clip around the body of the connector. Raise it and the two parts will separate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I think you did well. I sold mine for 4500 and it reappeared a year later with lots of carbon, engine paint sorted all for 5500.
    Don't think they made any money on that

3. Finally got the bike out of my kitchen and to my storage unit where I could fire it up for more than a few seconds before really diving into the electrics. Runs brilliantly and everything seems so slick like the throttle response, clutch, gear changes and getting neutral etc. more so than any bike I’ve owned including the 2 newer ducatis, I thought it was going to be much more agricultural.

Then started exploring the electrical gremlins further and it seems to have actually been two separate issues. The dash flickering and staying on with ignition off was resolved by opening up the large cylindrical connector and giving it a good clean, there was some muck and Verdi gris in there and a loose pin. After doing this I thought everything was good but after a few minutes the dash was now fine but the fuel pump priming every 5-10 seconds started again. I had a thought I could have done something very stupid and when previously replacing the starter relay may have put the old one back in. Turned out I hadn’t but having a look led me to find two wires going into the relay connector chaffed. I moved them apart and the fuel pump priming stopped so have ordered some new spade connectors so I can cut the wires back and refit.

New fairing kit is finished and on its way along with a nice clean used Termi full system which is due to arrive from Japan next week.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Little progress report. The chaffed wires going into the relay were definitely the cause of the weird electrical gremlins. I cut them back and replaced the spade connectors, re-wrapped the wiring with new loom tape and all has been good since.

The new 57mm symmetrical termi system arrived super quick from Japan, unfortunately I got stung for the import duties but I’d calculated those and factored them in and still think it was great price for a system that looks almost new. However what wasn’t so quick was getting it fitted what an absolute pain in the ar$e. I’d read it was a tight fit but in reality it was just ridiculous. I lost count of how many times I had to take bits on and off or loosening and retightening sections. At one point I almost quit think it must have been the wrong system for my bike. Finally got it on and happy enough with the sound to make the pain of installing it worthwhile.

The replica Fila fairings have arrived which I’m hoping to fit in the next day or two. I’m half expecting the exhaust to give me some issues with that too!

IMG_5227.jpeg

IMG_5228.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5229.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  5. She’s all back together and managed to take her for a little 45 minute test run. What a joy to ride and very different to what I expected. Everything was so silky smooth like throttle response, gear changes up and down, suspension was pretty plush and when I got back nothing had fallen off, nothing had melted and nothing was leaking. It felt like a much newer bike the way everything was so smooth and effortless in comparison to the 848 evo I had, the gen 1 Diavel I have now and my Daytona track bike, it makes them all feel agricultural. It has nowhere near the power of the Diavel but the speed it picks up is effortless and deceiving and the limiter makes its self know pretty quickly. Even with the full system it is much much quieter than the Diavel or my old 848 with termi end cans but it’s still got a nice sound especially on throttle. I’m looking forward to some better weather now to really get to know the bike but in the meantime just need to sort getting some extra keys cut and programmed and get a map done to suit the new full system.
    Not the best pics but just grabbed a couple outside my birds house.

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5244.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  6. Super nice!

7. May as well keep everything in the same thread. Have made a couple of changes with a tank and pair of wheels from a proper Fila 999r along with a nice new pair of Bridgestone S23’s. Could’ve kept the hardly used tyres off the original wheels but the dates on them were 2015 and 2016 so got new for piece of mind.

IMG_5384.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. I hate to say but those wheels appear to be standard cast type rather than forged R type wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Those wheels look a lot like just repainted standard cast wheels, you sure they are off an R?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ahhh yes I think you’re right. I got them from Desmo market in Italy which didn’t translate to English well but I’m not at all bothered though I only wanted them for the colour and they were only £400. Them being forged or from an actual r weren’t anything to do with why I wanted them otherwise I would’ve researched better.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information