1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seized 748.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by luckymarine, Apr 30, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

This was working till the wall on the left side started to lift. Hammer is being used to spread the load as the block of wood just split in two...

Ram it, Im going to cut the thing off, have another spindle, and another swingarm if I need it!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Have you crushed the cat?

One more try with a larger hammer?

Did you manage to get any Plus gas yet, it's got to be more effective than WD40!

3. Not got any Plus Gas yet, might have to wait till Tuesday as I'd forgotten it was a bank holiday.

Will leave it till then and have another go with the jack/cat combo after soaking the whole affair in Plus Gas.

After that will phone the dealership an ask how much they want to get it out, if that turns out to be an epic amount I'll cut the "minchia" out!

4. Mate, I have told you how to get it out. Bottle jack and a hacksaw blade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yea wanted to see if I could get it out without resorting to cutting anything.

6. You need a set of bearings, spindle and spacers anyway.

7. If it's not budged yet, as has been said, cut it out. If the spindle is that seized, even if it cleans up are you really going to want to put it back in!

8. Mine was also a mofo to get out. As other have mentioned beating the sh*t out of it can result in flanging the end.
    I got mine far enough out to drop the motor, then had to bash it back in a bit and chop the end off with a grinder, then finally pull all the way out. I managed to damage the engine casing in the hammering process!
    I wasn't aware of the hacksaw method at the time...:frown:

Good luck! :upyeah:

9. ^ so true - depending how much rust has encrusted on the middle part of the shaft (corrosion loves air voids plus repeated condensation from engine heatup/cool down) the task can be almost impossible without some other form of damage as the swing arm bearing inner dia has to scrape this corrosion off to allow the shaft free passage.

10. Ram it, woke up hungover pissed off and got the carcas of my bike on the kitchen floor when I'm meant to be riding it!

GET THE HACKSAW!

I assume the frame bolts above the swingarm spinde has to be removed to get the required flex.

In other news these came today. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

#110 luckymarine, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  11. I have seen JHP cut one with a reciprocating saw.

One of the best but little known penetrants is Gibbs Brand, when it was first produced it could not be packaged in an aerosol as it penetrated past the valve.

• Like Like x 1
  12. can't remember but you might need a padsaw - holds just one end of the blade (shortened) for easier access - you can insert blade reversed so you 'drag' to cut - this can prevent snapping blades if you struggle to master the 'knack' of normal saw-ing direction.

13. Undone both the other engine frame bolt nuts, allowing the frame to flex a little better.
    Used the jack to spread the frame and with a "crack" this appeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good news!

Although I thought I had to cut between the engine and the swingarm, wouldn't cutting there just separate the engine and swingarm from the frame?

Sorted, am cutting between the engine and the swingarm, bit of a cow to get to but should work.

#113 luckymarine, May 6, 2013
  14. Just found this.

[​IMG]

Sweet!

15. Might as well keep up with the pictures, might help someone else some day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took about 15 mins to get to this stage, thankfully the spindle is hollow so the toughest parts seem to be the beginning and the end.
    Engine mounting bolts have their nuts off but are left in place, allows the engine to slide from side to side and creates the gap for the saw blade.

Have the trolley jack under the engine because when the final cut is made the swingarm should come free and the engine and frame would drop otherwise.

#115 luckymarine, May 6, 2013
  16. Excellent photos:upyeah:

17. 2nd pic down,is that a crack in the weld on the frame mate?.:eek:

18. Nah just a bit of surface rust where the paint had been worn away where the weld bulges out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. You say it was removed 2 yrs ago, did you do it or was previous owner? Last time I saw a bike that bad was when I took my SPS apart after a winter in a damp garage put away with sat on (which I didnt know before I put away, obviously)

20. Was done by a garage.

Due to lack of space the bike has been stored outside for that past 2 years...

Once fully rebuilt and clean the bike will be stored in the living room!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information