1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seized 748.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by luckymarine, Apr 30, 2013.

1. As already mentioned I wouldn't spend anything on that knackered motor. Speno looks like he has what you need, do a deal with him save you time and money. Use your heads, injectors and ancillaries.

2. Cheers steve, good info to know. I do like the revvy nature of the 748 and assume I'd have to keep a 748 crank and heads to retain the high rev rate.

As the innards of my engine are probably mangled to hell anyway have started on my quest to split the engine on my kitchen floor.

Got this off...
    [​IMG]

Do all the golden hex bolts have to be removed?
    [​IMG]

3. For the record, i have cylinders. and i have both stud pattern. however i do agree with many comments here that ducati and budget do not work together. If you are not careful this episode could work out quite expensive.
    Done correctly though and you should end up back with a nice machine.
    I have plenty of engine parts for 916 or 996 and judging from the response you have had on this, so have a few others. i am sure you will get there you just need to know if there is anything you can salvage from your motor.
    Personally i would be very wary of buying a bottom end and just using it, i think if you do go the ebay replacement route best bet would be get it stripped and checked out, you dont want this to happen all over again.
    IMO what happens is either the oil gallery plug has come out, in which case the oil light would have been on or the crank gallery has filled up with sludge, both give a catastrophic failure none the less.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This shaft has been bent by the force of the conrod slamming into it.

[​IMG]

Means I cant turn this in order to line up the hole in the gear with the hex holts holding the engine casing together, I think there are 2 of them to undo under the gear. Will have to figure out a way of shifting it...

[​IMG]

5. "conrod flailing radius." Brilliant:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Going to try and cut here, should allow both ends of the shaft to just slide out of their respective sides.

[​IMG]

Im guessing its going to be strengthened steel, any ideas on how to get through it??

7. Doesn't look like there is much to salvage from that engine... :frown:

8. Yea I just want it open to get to the root of how it died now.

Dont think the gearbox gubbins will have been harmed, its a start. If the damage to the inside of the engine casings is just cosmetic then I can just get the crank/conrods/pistons and a cylinder as one of the cylinders survived undamaged.

Just need the stuff in your avatar!

9. check it with a file.it looks like alloy to me?..
    :wink:AND I DO HAVE A COMPLETE BOTTOM END FOR YOU IF YOU WANT IT?????????

• Like Like x 1
  10. AND MATCHING PISTONS AND CYLINDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sorry, what did you say yes, the weather is fine here , thanks for asking
    :biggrin:

12. :tongue:and pics above!...

13. pardon?:wink:

14. What was that. Let me fetch my magnifying glass.

15. your what glass? :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bottom? Sorry Speno I don't swing that way! ha!

Nah I seen all the goodies you have, just going to properly asses what I need before I put a shopping list together!

17. ok mate.fair enough,oh and it was my birds bottom half for sale not mine :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Outstanding!

19. I can only assume that the key in the timing gear has to line up with something on the shaft in order to be slid off as its really really tight and there's no movement whatsoever.

Either that or the bend in the shaft has locked the teeth with the other gear you can see on the crankshaft, not really enough space to get a puller in there either.

On the other side there is a weird nut holding on the gear that spins both belts, have tried nicely to get it off but I grow weary of its stubbornness to move. Tomorrow I'll nut split it off, hopefully slide the gear off and then hammer the shaft far enough out for this end to disengage.

20. I've seen how much you've been enjoying that bike. It was beautiful too.

I hope it's sorted soon and you can get it back on the road.

#180 pingping010101, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information