1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Servicing, Does Anyone Really Pay That

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Got a quote off JHP to do a big engine service on my 749R including dyno set up - £700 inc parts, labour, VAT and pick up from Sussex.

2. So On yer bike in Aylesbury are a bunch of rip merchants then :(

3. Yes definitely. It wasn't my first visit as they did the belts and service 2 years before.
    There is no BS or bells and whistles with them, just tells it like it is and gets the job done.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Well they did charge a lot on the delivery of my new work mug but it did arrive an hour ago and I ordered it Friday so I don't care. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ;)
    That's a fat bum you have to look at all day ;) or is it a wide chair :Angelic:

6. Wide chair with a complete prick sitting in it [emoji23]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. i paid £700 for the works in the summer 1098 belts valves and everthing else then it went BANG a thousand miles later ha

8. Had my big service done as I insisted they do it before I purchase the bike, and the engine went bang about a thousand miles later. I did wonder wether or not they'd even done the work.

9. What went bang first?

10. What went bang first?

11. The chicken... No the egg...

One of the cam shafts sheared clean off

Oh and the coolant head replacement. You'd have thought this would have been picked up had they done the service though.

12. My wifes credit card :Arghh: after the rear cylinder de nickasild itself

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Reliable engines then :( not sounding to good at the moment :(

14. 1198, you'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Belt services should be a balance of time and miles if you only do a few thousand a year then every three to four years is fine , the costs will shot up if the valves are being adjusted then £1000 is not unheard of , most engine failures are caused by dropped valves due to lack of valve maintenance not broken belts. Newer bikes like 848, 1098 are much stronger top end , but check exactly what they are doing in the service.

16. I would go independent for that price and find someone who cares because their family name is above the door! JHS etc probably £750 and a full days labour is about right, didn't Matt McCabe brown do an article in one of the mags with all the pricing? Is he still around on this forum?

When we went to Rhodes and Track recently he was doing a full service on a 1098r and I have to say there is a bloody lot of labour in it!!!

17. I was quoted "about £900" by P&H Crawley, followed by "but it'll probably be more like £950-1k by the time we're done" for the second year 7.5k including belts, valve clearances and service.

Ended up using Laguna Performance in Ashford and it cost just over £600 but that included a fuel pipe that had been rubbing on the cylinder head

18. I'm near P&H and they do seem expensive, as well as never having a service slot until the next month. When I got my bike from them it had been 5 years so was due a big belt service. I insisted the work be done before I buy it. 2 weeks later engine goes. Covered under warranty but I don't think they did the service at all and just said they did.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information